_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How to printing readable dashboard dials
abramov
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 05:40 PM UTC
I'm working on 1/16 T-34. Painted lovable dials for the dashboard in Adobe Photoshop. Actual size of the prints for this scale should be something around 3-5 mm in diameter. Tried to print the dials first on an inkjet photoprinter Canon i9950, then on HP Color LaserJet 1500L - absolute disaster in either case - the dials are absolutely unreadable, look like black rounds with blurred white dots instead of figures.

Any suggestions how to print the dials more readable? Maybe special printer settings? Special printers?
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 07:39 PM UTC
Hi there..

just a quick question. are you resizing the image and then printing, or resizing the image in the printing preferences.

I've found when making small scale maps that you leave the image much larger than you want to print it out and do your resizing in the printing prefereces you get a much better image.

also I take it the dials are black.. have you tried printing in a draft mode that uses less ink.

and if that don't help there is one other option i can think of.. print them out larger than you need so that they are clean.. then take them to a copy store that has some good coping machines and use the copy machine to copy them in reduced size..

Delbert

Delbert
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:48 PM UTC
I also would like to know as I am trying to get some for my Flak gun as nobody makes any.

Have you tried here as they make aircraft ones?

http://www.modelflags.com/acatalog/Sheet_&_Individual_Decals.html
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:31 AM UTC
Get a good sized image. DOwnload or scan it at high resolution. Drop the image into Word as clip art. resize as needed (as long as you are resizing to a smaller image). Print using the print function, rather than the icon and choose the highest possible reslution. I did this with a blood chit on a 1/35 flight jacket and you can identify the Chinese characters if you use a magnifying glass. This was done with an average inkjet 10 or so years ago.
abramov
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

are you resizing the image and then printing, or resizing the image in the printing preferences.

I tried both, the result are the same, I could hardly see any difference :-)

You are right, the dials are black. I also thought about white dials - but it would be the last option because the originals are actually black.

And you are absolutely right about using coping machine. I tried it too. It definitely increases the definition in comparison with direct printing. But you have to copy while downsizing several times from decent readable print – and it results in uneven decolorization of the black background. It is usable, but it’s for sure not as good as the digital image.

The prints used by modeling guru on the models photographed in the magazines being enlarged on the photos also look better than downsized copies.

There should be a trick over there!
abramov
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 04:26 AM UTC
I'll try it tomorrow.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 04:59 AM UTC
Boris,

If you can send me your Photoshop file, I will redraw it in a vector format which will scale-reduce much better and shouldn't have any pixallation. Look at my profile for my e-mail.

Or you can do it yourself if you can get a copy of vector format software like Corel or Quark or even AutoCAD.
abramov
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I
Have you tried here as they make aircraft ones?
http://www.modelflags.com/acatalog/Sheet_&_Individual_Decals.html

I visited the site. The dials start from 6 mm (I need half the size) and they don't look convincing even at much larger sizes. May be due to the bad scan?
abramov
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...Drop the image into Word ...

I tried to print out of Word. Maybe it's a fraction better than printing out of Adobe Photoshop.
But still not the desired level of detail.
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 916 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or you can do it yourself if you can get a copy of vector format software like Corel or Quark or even AutoCAD.

I've had very good luck w/ dials & decals using AutoCAD.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:04 PM UTC
Instead of trying to do them as decals, try printing them in regular paper and seal them. Then use a circular punch and punch them out. Now using simple white glue or even future, glue them to the instrument panel. I do this all the time with my gauges and instruments on my car kits and you cannot tell the difference between it and once that has a decal. Saves on the frustration level too. You should be able to get a nice clear readable image if you draw it our large and then reduce it. Especially for that 1/16 scale beast! HTH "Q"
 _GOTOTOP