_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Camoflage Nets
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 09:07 AM UTC
I would like to make some WWII Allied camoflage nets and have no idea what to use along with medical gauze to create the tape (fabric?) things that run through those nets. Any ideas or pointers greatly appreciated.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC
Get some 'Propax' gauze from your local pharmacy (Drugstore?). Cut strips from Tamiya masking tape approx. 0.5 x 5 mm. The cotton gauze is absorbant and will accept washes etc. The masking tape can be sprayed with acrylic before cutting. Localised application of diluted PVA can then be sprinkled with a variety of green kitchen herbs. Hope this helps.

Vinnie
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Go down to the local pharmacy and buy some Kling:

This stuff is perfect for netting. After you get a roll, buy some fabric dye, I use Rit, and dye the whole roll of bandage. You can't tell from the photo, but each roll is doubled, so if it is a 2 inch roll, in opens up to 4 inches. You will have enough netting to make as many camo nets as you want. If you need burlap in netting, just weave facial tissue through the netting. If you desire something like leaves on the net, use oregano or whatever herb suits your fancy.

Patrick
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 09:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll give both methods a shot.
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:41 AM UTC
Have these types of bandages got a more open pattern than the general bandages. Its just that I tried using a bandage for 1/35 cammo net and it appeared too close knit. I tried pulling every second thread out and finished up with a horrible mess.

Someone in my club suggested hairnets - so I have bought a couple (more strange looks at the ladies department counter - but have yet to try them. Apparently just stretch them out and paint them add strips of tamiya tape and/or spices etc to taste and there you have it.

Brian
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:56 AM UTC
Here is a pretty comprehensive link on making cammo nets with the Hessian tape strips...

Shaun

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/britain/emhess/hessian.htm

Hope this helps.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:59 AM UTC
I have used Medical gauze with great succes

I take one piece (I use this square packs of folded gauze) and cut of one Square wich I start stretching to make the gauze a bit looser and the holes in it a bit bigger
I apply it to what ever I want to be camonetted with diluted white glue. While the glue is still wet I aplly herbs on it. Dried parsley works quite ok I guess you could use the camo papers that tamyia offers too. If you cut strips (already mentioned before then that would work too

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Have these types of bandages got a more open pattern than the general bandages. Its just that I tried using a bandage for 1/35 cammo net and it appeared too close knit. I tried pulling every second thread out and finished up with a horrible mess.

Someone in my club suggested hairnets - so I have bought a couple (more strange looks at the ladies department counter - but have yet to try them. Apparently just stretch them out and paint them add strips of tamiya tape and/or spices etc to taste and there you have it.

Brian

Yeah Bilko,
bet it looked strange as I guess your bald :-)
only messing mate good tip but I'll get the wive to but them so no funny looks
me #:-)
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 10:46 PM UTC
Thanks for the link, Keenan. As i have a bit of an obsession with nets at the moment, every time I go to the supermarket I am constantly on the look out for material which could be used for netting. To put in my 2 cents worth, the string bags which pre-weighed potatoes come in seem to be ideal for the purpose. The strips on brit camo net can also be simulated using surgical tape...... Thanks again, Jim
 _GOTOTOP