Hosted by Matt Leese
Building a silent air compressor
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 204 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:18 PM UTC
Hello everybody, I posted this on another forum recently and was very well received. Hope it helps and encourage somebody to build one of those.

Ingredients:

-Tank for compressed air (Mine as seen in the pictures came from a cheap air compressor bought at Menards for about $45. After a few months the engine died and that was the main reason to try to make a new compressor).
-Refrigerator compressor (I got mine at local used appliances store. They gave it to me for free, since most old refrigerators go to recycling they did not care).
- 1 feet compressed air tubing (Bought at ACE for about $3)

So here's the tank with the orange pressure tubing in place.

Next, a ground wire was added to protect the system..

Here we can see the compressor that has 4 pipes open and one closed. I just have to turn it on and "feel" which one was the suction outlet port and which one was the "air outlet".

A very rustic base made from plywood installed on top of the tank to fit the compressor:

Finally, the system all connected and ready to go...

Any questions please feel free to ask. I know it looks complicated but once you have the materials the build is extremely easy and the results are mazing....hours and hours of painting with no noise at all.....

Mirko

jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 05:33 PM UTC
HI,
First off,very good recycling. Couple of questions, the filter is the air inlet I'm assuming? And if so are there any issues with a small inlet as far as filling the tank? Do you have any moisture/water problems? And lastly how long does it take to fill the tank?
thanks,
jake
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:38 AM UTC
Any air compressor is going to have some moisture in it. it's just because there's moisture in the air.
ludwig113
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 01:39 AM UTC
cool,thats helped me alot,i'm looking for a tank to use and that given me some ideas.

cheers paul
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 01:55 AM UTC
I really like this. I have a similar compressor but it is very loud. There seems to be a lot of fridges lately that I could scavenge from, a conversion may be due. Out of curiousity, what did you do for a cut off switch? Were you able to reuse the one that came with the compressor?
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HI,
First off,very good recycling. Couple of questions, the filter is the air inlet I'm assuming? And if so are there any issues with a small inlet as far as filling the tank? Do you have any moisture/water problems? And lastly how long does it take to fill the tank?
thanks,
jake

Yep, the air filter (really a gasoline filter) goes on the inlet or "suction" port....

No problems fillin the tank, it takes about 1 minute to get to 20 psi and climbs to 100psi in about 8 minutes. Be sure to have a release valve otherwise your tank can explode... which would be less than desirable...

Theres a minimal amount of moisture due to condensation, as the air coming from the compressor is slightly warm....two solutions for this problem, get at tank with a draining valve so you can drain it regularly (every 2-3 months) or include an air moisture trap (that you can get at home dpot, ace, etc ) in the circuit going to the tank.....

Hope this helps..

Mirko
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

cool,thats helped me alot,i'm looking for a tank to use and that given me some ideas.

cheers paul

Cool, you can buy a cheap air compressor with a 2 gallon tank at walmart for $39 !!!
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like this. I have a similar compressor but it is very loud. There seems to be a lot of fridges lately that I could scavenge from, a conversion may be due. Out of curiousity, what did you do for a cut off switch? Were you able to reuse the one that came with the compressor?

I bought one at Ace for $4-5.......usually refrigerators don't have an on and off switch, you just plug them to the wal and the engine runs and runs and runs, with ocassional relief stops....
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 04:23 PM UTC
hi,
Thanks for the reply.I think you understood my questions and the reasoning behind them.Your clarification was quite helpful in that modelers can be very clever finding ways to solve problems that are intelligent and inexpensive.
thanks again
jake
 _GOTOTOP