_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Applying Decals
eyeball
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 03:00 AM UTC
Another newbie question for you. What is the best method of applying decals? I saw a Testors decal kit atthe store the other day that included two small bottles and a brush. Is that something I should use? Just curious on what the prefferd methods are. Thanks in advance!

-eyeball
USMC0321
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 76 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 03:16 AM UTC
First off, you will want to spray a Gloss Coat on your model. You can get these at any hobby shop and spray it through your airbrush or you can buy gloss coats in aerosol cans if you do not own an airbrush. The gloss coat helps smooth out the surface of the model and prevents "silvering" which is when air bubbles are trapped underneath the decal. As for the kit you saw at the store it is decal set and decal solvent. These help the decal lay down nice and flat in all the panel lines or other details.

USMC0321
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 03:35 AM UTC
There are different kind of decals: rub-on decals, waterslide decals and sticker type decals. Before applying, spray a topcoat on it prefferably gloss coat. Then apply the decals. If your using rub-on decals, be sure to press all the decals altogether to prevent tearing them apart. For waterslide decals, press the decals to remove air bubbles. For sticker type decals, press it so it can't be peeled off. After doing these, spay again with an overcoat with your choice of gloss, semi-gloss and flat.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 04:09 AM UTC
I use primarily waterslide decals, heres my application method.

1. Apply overall gloss coat ( as mentioned by others here )
2. Apply Decal setting solution to area where decal is to go.
3. Place Decal.
4. Apply Decal setting solution to decal while in place.
5. Press Decal into place with a paper towel.
6. Apply another coat of decal setting solution.
7. Once Deacls are all dry apply second overall gloss coat.

I've had good results with this, good detail show through and no silvering ( some of my models are over 20 years old ) and the decals still look in good shape.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hi eyeball, as the other guys said you really need a gloss surface if you are applying waterslide decals. The decal kit you saw probably contains two types of decal setting agents, Sol and Set. One you apply to the area where the decal is to be placed. The decal is then slid into place.When you are happy with the positioning of the decal gently press it down to remove air bubbles. I use a soft sponge for this. Try to avoid using a wiping motion so as not to move the decal. allow it to sit for a few minutes, then apply the second solution. Do not touch the decal except lightly with the brush whilst applying it.
The two solutions do the following. The first softens slightly the underside of the decal and improves the adhesion. The second softens the upper surface. By using them it draws the decal down onto the gloss surface and into any panel lines or slightly raised panels etc.
If you do use them and the decal starts to wrinkle DON'T PANIC. This is normal. The decals should be left untouched. I usually leave them overnight. Sometimes if they are applied to really uneven surfaces another application of the second solution is necessary. Eventually the wrinkles disappear and they really do look like they have been painted on once they have been sprayed or brushed with another coat of varnish, gloss or matt.
Hope this helps
Martin
eyeball
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC
Thanks guys! Good Info!

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys! Good Info!

You're welcome! Just post in pics when you're done!
eyeball
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:58 AM UTC
I will definately post up pics when its done. The people on this forum have pretty much walked me through this first model.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:59 PM UTC
This helps me to, thanks guys
 _GOTOTOP