Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Happy Black Friday...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 08:47 PM UTC
With a certain amount of demonic glee, I can't resist adding this one to all of you who'll be dragged out to shopping malls and large department stores today.

I've ALWAYS found Black Friday a humorous concept - mainly because it hasn't arrived here (yet) ...

Enjoy!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:49 PM UTC
I'm off today also!

But I have no need or desire to go anywhere near any malls.
Good day to maybe doing a little modeling, work on a review, and take a nap.
(maybe even do the dishes, and dump the garbage and clean the kitty toilets! )
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 01:29 AM UTC
I am getting no where near a shopping center. So people really get into it. It is raining and snowing where I am out. I can not imaging sitting outside waiting for a store to open. That is messed up.

Thinking about making a turkey and stuffing omlet for breakfast and then falling asleep on the couch.

Tony
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC
"Thinking about making a turkey and stuffing omlet for breakfast and then falling asleep on the couch"
Where are you? I'll help if I can make one turkey/cheese w/stuffing on the side!
Cheers!
Rick
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Thinking about making a turkey and stuffing omlet for breakfast and then falling asleep on the couch"
Where are you? I'll help if I can make one turkey/cheese w/stuffing on the side!
Cheers!
Rick

Rick,
Looking at your signature line I think I am staying near a place of interest to you. My wife and I rented a house southeast of Pittsburgh. I will make the omlet if you bring the cheese. I used all the cheese yesterday morning for our sausage, potato, cheese and egg cassorole.

Tony
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:29 AM UTC
Went to the mall,left the house at 8;00 AM,arrived at 8;25 AM no traffic,plenty of parking,went right in.Picked up a new suit,two ties,a pair of jeans,had a nice time,wife got interviewed by Good Morning America,.Lots of people but not bad,lunch and home by 3:00PM.

now for a little R+R model building.

I really like it,been going every year for awhile now.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 03:35 PM UTC
I think this Black Friday buying day is one of the dumbest days we have dreamed up. Why anyone would stand in line for some cheap stuff is beyond me. Not to mention people standing in line! I always just wait till the doors open then just head to the door. I love the look on faces as I walk right in the door!
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
entire network: 2,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 10:58 PM UTC
Well, being Polish I have no idea what Black Friday is... Can you explain me the idea?

Andrzej
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC
same here!
"black friday" usually refers to a stock exchange crash...
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 04:26 AM UTC
In the USA, the day after Thanksgiving is sort of the beginning of the Christmas sales season. Stores will have rediculously low prices on limited stock. For example, Walmart was selling laptops for $198 but each store only had stock of approximately 30. As a result people will camp out to get in like for these items. Also, stores that usually open at 10 a.m. open at 4 a.m. I think this year JC Penny openned at midnight. The stores and malls are packed. It is sort of crazy. Hence, black friday.

Yeah, I always thought it was used for the stock market crash as well. I am not sure where the phrase for the day after Thanksgiving started.

Tony
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 04:32 AM UTC
Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving here is the US. It refers to the official kick off of the Christmas shopping season. Many retailers are hoping to make major profits that day, hence the term “Black Friday.”

Many of these sales kick off around 5am Friday morning. My wife works for Wal-Mart and had to be at the store by 3 am. She is the manager of the front end, cash registers, and was so busy, but she did get to come home at noon. I sat in line for a digital camcorder.

Yes, some Black Friday’s are bad, but the day after Thanksgiving is a yearly event and has a good meaning. My wives store was up compared to last year. But that was only for one day.

Hope that helps!

edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 05:33 AM UTC
Thank you guys!
Always nice to learn something new!

Sounds creazy, though!
Above all, I pity your wife, Jim: I myself have been on the front desk in a bank with a constant queue in front of me and I know what it means... it tests your peace of mind...
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
entire network: 2,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 06:29 AM UTC
OK, I get the idea... Thanks for explenation!
I'm doing all my best to avoid malls and other markets for the whole year so Black Friday (or any matching ocasion in Poland) is not an exception for me .

Andrzej
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In the USA, the day after Thanksgiving is sort of the beginning of the Christmas sales season. Stores will have rediculously low prices on limited stock. For example, Walmart was selling laptops for $198 but each store only had stock of approximately 30. As a result people will camp out to get in like for these items. Also, stores that usually open at 10 a.m. open at 4 a.m. I think this year JC Penny openned at midnight. The stores and malls are packed. It is sort of crazy. Hence, black friday.

Tony

I never saw the point of standing in line when i can show up at whatever time they open and just walk in the door.