_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Campaign End dates
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hello All,
I am trying to submit a campaign that ends in 2011. The pull down feature only goes to 2010. Is there any way to fixed the end dates, They show 2009 and 2010 only,
I know that Big Jim is doing a upgrade, But I do not want this to slip in the cracks.
Thanks to all of the staff for your hard work, I know that a lot of members appreciate your hard work keeping the site open. I am sorry to be a pain, I just want to see this fix before someone gets discouraged about submitting a campaign.
Thanks,
Cheers,
Bruce
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 08:01 PM UTC
Hi Bruce,
What are the start dates and end dates of the campaign you are trying to enter? Are you trying to start a campaign in late 2010 and have it end in 2011? Why?

Jim
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 03:26 AM UTC
Over a year is kind of long....... unless you're going like July of 2010 to June of 2011 but I'd almost wait to submit it....
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 05:59 AM UTC
Yes if the start date were say July of 2010 and the end date Feb of 2011 then waiting until next year to submit the campaign would be the way to go.

Jim
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hello Jim and Matt,

I like to start my proposed campaigns at least 6 months to 1 year in advance. That will give me and others interested in such campaign a long lead time to discuss the rules, parameters and give everyone enough time to get what they want. I then submit the campaign with regards to when other campaigns' starting/ending times during my proposed dates with a lead time of at least 6-8 months before it starts.

I have been studying campaigns and on Armorama , you can start a campaign with in a month and let it run for 6 months with a completion rate of 30% to 40% of the modelers that signed up. With a longer lead time I think that the rate could go up to 75% to 80%.

On MSW with a lead time of 1-3 months the rate goes down to 10%-15%. If you give them 4+ months lead time the rate goes up to 25% to 40% completion rate. If you give them 10 to 12 months the rate only increases by another 15%.

On Aeroscale the rate holds steady at 50% for a 1-6 month lead time, But if you give them 9-12 months the rate goes up 75% completion.

Please remember that an armored vehicle can be done fairly quick, a plane ltakes onger and a ship the longest. Now I am not saying that someone who puts in hundreds of hours super detailing a tank is different that some one who builds a plane/ship OOB. What I am saying that a ship usually takes more time to build then a tank.

Now I am not an expert or mathematician, but it seems with a longer lead time before the campaign starts and with encouragement of the campaign leader you will get more interest in a campaign. The modelers cannot wait to start and others who might not want to do such a campaign couldbecome interested in it so you have a higher completion rate of models done and on time. No more extensions on campaigns would help the campaign administrators, also.

To me the more people interested in this site and the more excitement it produces means more members, a larger site and maybe makes the site more self-sustaining while giving Big Jim a little less work to do.

On my master board at home, I have a 10 year plan of campaigns I would like to run, models I would like to do and where I want my modeling skills to be.
I am sorry if I offended anyone, I just like to plan way ahead.

I proposed the Flying Boat/Seaplane campaign last November and it started this November. There has been a lot of excitement during the months leading up to the campaign. I have modelers from MSW, Armorama, and other sites that have never built a plane who are now building a plane. I think that we will have an 85% to 90% completion rate from the way everything is going. That is very good for a campaign.

The longer lead times for campaigns require that the campaign leader commits to a long period of promoting and creating a continued interest in the campaign. I am prepared to do this for as long as it takes to create more and more successful campaigns, and to help promote the site.

Cheers,
Bruce
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I proposed the Flying Boat/Seaplane campaign last November and it started this November. There has been a lot of excitement during the months leading up to the campaign. I have modelers from MSW, Armorama, and other sites that have never built a plane who are now building a plane. I think that we will have an 85% to 90% completion rate from the way everything is going. That is very good for a campaign.

Cheers,
Bruce

I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for Bruce but he has a point here. I'm not sure that this would work for every single campaign but it certainly seems to be working for this one. The extra time gives people a chance to plan way ahead and obtain all the things they need (PE, resin, decals, etc.) instead of limping along with whatever is in their stash.
You'd have to admit that this tends to boost sales for advertisers as well.
I know in the past there have been times when I was away from Aeroscale for 2 or 3 months because of real world situations and when I got back to the bench and Aeroscale I found that there were a couple of cool campaigns going on that seemed to come from out of no where. Needless to say I didn't have time to get a kit and complete it before the campaign deadline.

Well, that's my 2 cents.
Hermon
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 490 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 01:57 PM UTC
If you guys want a campaign that starts or ends beyond 2010 or that has a duration longer than 6 months, it's OK to submit the campaign proposal with whatever dates you can put in there, then send a PM to the Campaign Manager with the real dates you want (which might change anyway to space campaigns out). The Campaign Manager doesn't use the drop-down menus and can set the dates to whatever he/she wants.
 _GOTOTOP