Trouble with decals?
Poll: Decal resource
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 05:56 AM UTC
I had an idea as I was creating some decals for my Fokker the other day. and want to see if the other builders here would find it a valuable resource. My idea is to create a website that hosts extremely high resolution logos, national insiginias, numbers, letters, etc.... ready to print out yourself and create your own decals. A lot of times I see pictures of planes I would like to build, but nobody has an AM decal sheet portraying that plane. I'm pretty good with a paint program so I can usually make my own, but some people may not be and these planes would be out of reach for them. I wouldn't limit it to aircraft specific decals so you armor guys don't have to feel left out. I would also be able to print sheets of decals for sale if a user doesn't have access to a high quality printer, but the main focus of the site would be in allowing people to download what they need and print it themselves. I would try not to duplicate work done by the major decal manufacturers as I don't want to take money away from somebody who put a lot of time into a decal set. This would be a free resource, and would require only limited knowledge of paint programs to use. You would need to know how to print the image.

So the question is, do you think this is a resource you could and would use? Please answer whether your answer is yes or no as I will only do it if it gets a certain percantage of the sample saying yes. Also if it's no, could you give short reason as why not. I may be able to do something that would change it to a yes.

Thanks in advance.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 06:09 AM UTC
My first concern (which you address) is copywrite deals. But since you're making your own there's no problem.

I know I have had to do similar things for diorama type items.
I think it would be useful resource.
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC
Tim,
I think I would find it extremely useful (armor person that I am), so my answer is definitely YES! :-)
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 06:49 AM UTC
Twisted, you are a genius! The number of times I've tried to obtain certain decals for a particular aircraft only to find them either out of stock or OOP. I like to use decals to depict aircraft other than the ones depicted in the kit, usually one I've seen a picture of. If you did this it would be an enormous help to loads of guys here who have posted asking for the same thing.
Martin
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 06:52 AM UTC
yes, great idea, dont think you'll have many say no!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 07:15 AM UTC
:-) Tim, I always knew you were a god :-) superb idea. even basic insignia would be very useful. Yes, yes, yes (does that help the percentage?)
Mal
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
I think it's a great idea as well. Hell, if someone even came up with mil-spec fonts for the PC, that would take care of most folks needs for changing serial numbers, unit designations, crew assignments, ship names, etc. The only tricky part then is getting it printed in white if you need it, and I've often wondered why someone didn't fill that little niche.
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 607 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hey Tim , you have my vote - YES! just let me find a few dozen tanks that stand out ! Really good idea !
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 08:11 AM UTC
Wow, TwistedFate, what an offer! That would be a wonderful contribution to the modeling community. Slodder is right that, by creating images from scratch yourself, you should be able to avoid copyright issues. If you were doing commercial logos (for airliners or cars), you might need to think about trademark issues, but you should be fine with military subjects.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
Brilliant idea for a resource. I'm mainly into armour, so unit markings etc would be fantastic. As Phantom (Paul) says though, does anybody have any ideas whatsoever with regard to printing out white decals? Is there any way to do this?

Vinnie
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:55 AM UTC
Twisted Fate! You are a genious!!! Thats a great idea. I saw a Norwegian AF Spitfire, and liked the insignia.

Would you take custom orders?

And would all of your images be to true scale?

Let me or us know,

~Chip
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 607 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 12:52 PM UTC
got a idea what about patches for those of os that are paint brush challenged ? i've tried to do the 101st patch with no luck just my 2 cents worth - and another yes vote -ooppss i voted twice - don't tell any one OK ?
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 01:15 PM UTC
I vote yes, I am needing some decals as we speak this would be very helpful.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 05:16 PM UTC
Well I don't know what's up with the people that viewed but didn't respond but oh well. The response is more enthuiastic than I anticipated so I'll go ahead and get started.

White decals can be done two ways. White decal paper can be purchased. I print a thin black around the white are if it's on the outside and cut the black line off. If the white area is surrounded by color then I paint the model white where the decal will go and print the decal on clear paper to let the white area show through.

Yes I will take requests, but it may take a while to get to them.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 03:43 AM UTC
Twisted Fate, that's an absolutely great idea !
Most people are looking for simple things : fonts for several countrys, AF or army...
That way, they can change serial numbers and such...
But some good crosses, roundels, unit symbols, tactical symbals... Oh, that would be great !!!!
Please keep us posted about your advance, and I'm sure many people will be glad to help by sending you some work they've already done !
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 04:04 AM UTC
Phantom,

You get get mil spec fonts for your pc at the link below. Several different styles. However, the file is $20.00. I don't know if it would be worth it to you or not. I am still looking for a shareware version for you.

Shaun

http://www.tlai.com/google/
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:30 PM UTC
great A good easy to get to resource.Do we share with HS and ML?
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 05:00 PM UTC
Shaun, you're a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for the link. You're right, I'd prefer a free version (especially since it's so easy to make), but if it comes down to it, that would do the trick. Thanks!
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 05:58 PM UTC
Tim I have a couple questions.

1. if I don't have the right printing equipment can I copy and paste?

2. will they be to accurate scale?

3. what is your going rate?

4. and will you take custom orders?

Thanks

~Chip
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:28 PM UTC
Oh yea baby....especially if you can figure out how to do those straight gigantic lines on the 350 scale Enterprise, come to think about it, just about any decals for the Enterprise would be welcome could use some 49 scale plane and 35th armor as well. You little artist you
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tim I have a couple questions.

1. if I don't have the right printing equipment can I copy and paste?
2. will they be to accurate scale?
3. what is your going rate?
4. and will you take custom orders?

1) If you don't have the right equipment, how is C&P going to help?
2) Letters, insignias, etc... vary too much from subject to subject for me to list a scale. I will have several sizes available per sheet. It will be up to the user to decide which is the best size. Look at the letters on a monster like an F-15 compared to an F-5 and you'll see what I mean. Squadron insiginias and the like that are the same size across the board, of course will be to scale.
3) They will be free to download. I will print and mail them for $1-2 + shipping to cover supplies and such. If bandwidth becomes an issue I may have to make it begware, but I don't see bandwidth being a problem.
4) Yes, but it may take a while to get it done.

It may take me longer to get it up and running than I thought. My computer is choking on the amount of memory it is taking to create the images in the resolution and dot pitch I need. I can knock down the color depth which helps a lot, but it's still an elephant for my machine to try and eat. Once I get the process figured out, it will go better.

I hope to have the first sheet(s) ready for download next week. First sheet will be Iron Crosses in sizes from 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, and 40 mm across. Second sheet will be Greek Roundels. You can see the Iron Crosses in sizes 7, 8, and 13mm on this model

Blaster, you ever think of masking and painting those lines? One of the things I hope to do is have numbers available so you can model other ships of the fleet, too.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:40 PM UTC
Tim,

Sorry dude for the stupid question on #1. I meant Copy and paste, and then save to a disk. Then take to Kinkos?

Will you print out? Is this what I am understanding?

~Chip
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:21 PM UTC
Ok, cool. C&P won't be necessary. Just save the image to disk and take to Kinkos.

Yes, I will print out if the user doesn't have the ability to do so.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 08:20 PM UTC
Tim, I can see you taking up a new career if the responses here are anything to go by, ie Chief Executive of TwistedFate Decal Production Ltd.
Martin
bytepilot
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 01:23 AM UTC
Hey Tim,

I make my own decals, since there are not that many decals available out there which deal with Indian AF aircraft. Have designed about 8 decal sheets myself so far(Hurri/Mirage 2000/Jaguar/Hunter/Mig 29/Spitfire). Here's a coupla shortcuts for you, if you are interested:
1. Aluminium Cloud Site - Here you can download a zip file containing readymade insignia for WWII USAF, RAF, Jap and LW planes.
2. RAF Military Aircraft Fonts

Hope these help in your noble endeavour...

Cheers,
BP.
 _GOTOTOP