_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Disolving super glue
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 04:09 PM UTC
Hey all,

Is there anything out there ( a liguid, gel, or paste of some sort) that dissolves super glue? I've heard of debonder (sp?) but don't actually know if it dissolves the glue somehow. I am just so sick of having to sand areas where excess glue ended up or if I have to reposition a part that was not correctly attached.

I have Gator glue, by the way, but, for me anyway, it just isn't strong enough for some things when trying to attach PE pieces to the plastic.

Any ideas will be truly appreciate it

Rob
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 06:49 PM UTC
De-bonder will remove the CA, also any paint. The problem is removing the de-bonder after you use it, as any residue will hinder future use of CA. SO--- a good washing with soap and water is recommended after using any de-bonder to remove the residue.
I use a brand called FLASH BACK DE-BONDER which is water thin, and penetrates pretty well. (I use one of those disposible microbrushes to apply it. The other brand I've tried was ZAP, and that was thicker, like a gel, so it didn't penetrate that well, but may work well if the parts has already been popped off, or if you have an errant drip of CA somewhere.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 3,736 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 07:10 PM UTC
Debonder is just acetone (available in large quantities at low prices in hardware stores as a solvent or thinner, and in small quantities in drugstores as "oily nail polish remover"). Trouble is, it also dissolves many types of plastic, though it's safe to use on white metal, brass and some resins. Super glue has very little shear strength, so it's usually not difficult to separate a part using a chisel edged X-acto knife blade, and glue residue can usually be removed with the same tool.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 08:14 AM UTC
Thanks a lot guys! I may have to try a de-bonder to see how it works.

Rob
chukw1
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC
I've had really good luck with acetone-based nail polish remover. Never hurt any precious styrene with it, either!
bjo949
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 01:59 AM UTC
Plain industrial acetone from a home improvement center is a way to go. It is cheap and does not hurt styrene or resin. I also use it for cleaning PE parts after any failed attempt to attach them properly, bob
 _GOTOTOP