Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
How not to hail a taxi
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 03:29 AM UTC
Sneaky little devils

Just your "average Taxi" right…….. WRONG
It's intentionally designed to look like a taxi, no markings etc.
Note the red lights, front grill & rear view mirror area.
The roof sign actually says "Police"
This is the latest in POLICE RADAR CARS…..
In use in Georgetown & Milton areas, southern Ontario.

cheers
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
As a taxi driver I LOVE this. I only hope the person being pulled over was being stopped for not using their turn signal.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 04:20 AM UTC
Doesn't surprise me after seeing what looked like a work van..... you know a utility van with laddrs and pipe on the roof rack... with someone pulled over in Md..... it had the window & grill lights as well.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 04:21 AM UTC
Is it me, or is it a local design feature, but he seems to have only one headlight working?

jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 344 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it me, or is it a local design feature, but he seems to have only one headlight working?

HAHAHA, just had to say that didnt you??
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, they both work, just not at the same time

cheers
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Strobe lights that flash like railroad crossings.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 09:41 PM UTC
Are you sure it's a Police car? Can it be a taxi, disguised as a Police car, to get through traffic quicker?

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hey Everyone...

Look at the Tires.. You can always tell an unmarked car by the hub caps.. even if they leave off the extra antenna's and spotlight, 9 times out of 10 they will have the bolted on center caps..

This is an insurance thing because regular hub caps would fly off at higher speeds and hit people.. or windows ect... the only non police cars i have ever seen with these caps are retired police cars...

later
Delbert
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Everyone...

Look at the Tires.. You can always tell an unmarked car by the hub caps.. even if they leave off the extra antenna's and spotlight, 9 times out of 10 they will have the bolted on center caps..

This is an insurance thing because regular hub caps would fly off at higher speeds and hit people.. or windows ect... the only non police cars i have ever seen with these caps are retired police cars...

later
Delbert

Or, they don't run hub caps at all. We have several unmarked units here in the area that look plain jane. No extra antennas, no markings, etc. The only give away is the 5% tint on the windows. By the time you can see that though, you ususally have a pair of blue lights in your rearview shortly there after. That's why I don't speed. Yeah, I'm the guy you are always cussing on the freeway who is going the speed limit.. lol. "Q"
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 03:42 AM UTC
Here's a scenario.

Mr. Police man is parked in a lot somewhere in this "taxi" watching traffic.

Walk up, get in the car, and ask for a ride to the airport .

cheers
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
I'm surprised it doesn't have the red and blue lights you normally see now.

Darryl
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm surprised it doesn't have the red and blue lights you normally see now.

Darryl

Right above the rear view mirror behind the windshield.

Here's a news story on it.

http://miltonsearch.com/news/?p=508

cheers
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 08:21 AM UTC
The "standard" police center hub with the black rim is a safety issue. Remove the hub cap to allow more air to pass over the brakes and keep them cool. If you see a Crown Vic, Impala or Charger with the tinted windows, black rims and maybe a spotlight or antennas it just the locals trying to keep the peace. We're really not out to get you. We just want to get the folks that would really ruin your day.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 04:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

HAHAHA, just had to say that didnt you??

They call those wig-wag lights out here, they strobe alternately.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC
As a trucker, I hate those polices to pieces, ( Tom and Jerry quote). On subject, low vis cammo civilian style. Anyone got an E.C.M. pod for sale?
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 12:25 PM UTC
Bob, if you come through Jeffersonville, they have a plain black Mustng GT. It has cars pulled over on I-65 S every single day.

btw I was a MP
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 05:14 PM UTC
Ford vs. GM again

That is a Chevy van that is being pulled over, right?

can't we all just get along

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually the standard Police/Taxi packages are pretty much the same, and all come with the plain steel wheel with the center cap. In the end, the only real difference between a Fleet Police car or Fleet Taxi by Ford, is what the Police Dept, or Taxi company do with it afterwards (besides the engine, as I think the police package kicks out more HP out of the engine than the Taxi versions)
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC
I find it ironic that the Police are allowed to lie, sneak, misrepresent, disguise and trick the public in the process of "doing their job", yet, I can't drive without my licence plate light working or I get fined and ticketed. In any other instance, a car dressed up to stalk citizens would be considered "Suspicious Activity".

My $.02
Cuhail
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 04:10 AM UTC
I agree with you there Cuhail. Nothing suspicious about a truck flying down the road. Just trying to keep the recivers, shippers, dispatch and cops off our butts and get the impossable job done. Maybe I need an E.C.M. pod and a cloaking device . Yeah, I'm the one who complains about the guy in the left lane doing the fri7#g)q speed limit. Out of my way fools. I got places to go and people to annoy.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC
Speaking as one who just got busted for doing 95 on a dual carriageway (that`s a freeway to you guys over the pond !) i got the full "blues and two`s" treatment with a patrol car,in my firm`s van to boot !!.
Over here in the UK we`ve got speed camera vans which are crewed by civilians with all the radar gear installed in the back - the`re supposed to be used in accident black spots but i`ve never seen one where it`s supposed to be.Instead these sneaky gits are half hidden where they know people are guaranteed to have ther foot down,the upshot is folks over here consider them to be worse than traffic wardens.
Posted this to let my American friends know that things are`nt all wine and roses over here either
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 06:55 AM UTC
These 'unmarked' cars are starting to scare me. Not that I'm that worried about a ticket (2 in the last 30 years). But, who would have less trouble buying those light bars etc. than the cops? That's right, anybody who didn't have to worry about meeting a city/county/state budget. In other words anyone with criminal mischief in mind.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find it ironic that the Police are allowed to lie, sneak, misrepresent, disguise and trick the public in the process of "doing their job", yet, I can't drive without my licence plate light working or I get fined and ticketed. In any other instance, a car dressed up to stalk citizens would be considered "Suspicious Activity".

My $.02
Cuhail

Describing enforcing the law as "stalking" is pushing the definition beyond breaking point. What do you want, the police to call people in advance and ask them if they'd mind waiting while someone comes to arrest them? In this case, all they're doing is watching drivers break the law who think they can get away with it because they think there's no police around. The general idea with the law is that you obey it all the time. If you don't want an unmarked police car pulling you over, don't break the speed limit / drive with a broken light / carry an unsafe load, etc etc. It's terribly simple.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's terribly simple.

I wish it were terribly simple. Too many jurisdictions rely heavily on fines to finance the operation of local law enforcement and other government functions. Take a look at the income part of their budget, some cities / counties expect over 20% of their income to come from fines. These places have invested heavily in unmarked vehicles or non-traditional cruisers (Camaros / Mustangs / Expeditions) to catch unwary motorists. Sometimes, the local road authority is in on the deal and will post conflicting speed limit signs, or place the signs too close together to allow for safe deceleration in hopes of snagging inattentive drivers.
[/soapbox]