_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What magazine is best for modeling
railbuilderdhd
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 07:28 PM UTC
I would like to get a modeling magazine for tips tricks and info on how to best model Armor, Aircraft, and other military modeling. I don't know if I should get Fine Scale Modeler magazine or if there is a better magazine out there that will give me more insight on how-to do things. Is MILITARY MODELLING MAGAZINE worth the $100 a year subscription and is it written in English so a simple American like myself can understand it. I'm not new to modeling but I also don't know all there is to know so I'm looking for something that's not basic yet will explain things thoroughly. Many recommendations would be great.
Thanks,
Dave
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to get a modeling magazine for tips tricks and info on how to best model Armor, Aircraft, and other military modeling.

You've found it... Here you'll find Features, Reviews, News which are all updated within hours (sometimes minutes), a Forum where you can post questions and comments and simply put, access to the most comprehensive resource anywhere. Oh, and we don't have a subscription!

Welcome aboard
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 08:26 PM UTC
We had this conversation on Armorama a few times over the last few years, and although there are various opinions ... I really believe magazine subscriptions are a thing of the past.
Online info is more up-to-date and faster ... and the major winner for online sites, is the amount of personal answers you will get to your particular questions. You´ll get so much more help ... just show your in-progress work and get constructive feedback, opinions and ideas.
Sometimes its nice to flick through a mag ... especially when it has an article that you´re interested in. So instead of subscribing to any one particular mag ... pick up the various mags that have features/articles that are of interest to you. The rest you´ll find here.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 08:28 PM UTC
G'day Dave,

Jim and Frank are absolutely correct. In the few short months since I joined Kitmaker network I have not purchased a magazine unless:

1. it contained a comprehensive review or build article on a kit I am about to start and
2. I could'nt find any info here on Kitmaker.

In short I haven't bought a modelling mag for 3 months and in fact I am not renewing my subscription to my usual mag as I now find it very repetitive.

The added benefit of Kitmaker is that you now have an instant world-wide resource centre of incredibly helpful and unbelievably talented modellers at your fingertips. The guys and gals here are only to willing to help you with advice and I've even had decal sets sent to me from all parts of the globe and at no cost to help solve a problem.

Basically, don't spend your hard-earned until you have had a good look right here.

About myself, I am a beginner, learning it all again after returning to scale modelling following a long break.

Cheers, Damian
JanusAust
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 09:20 PM UTC
Id second the above,that online sites are more useful, for a few reasons
- easy to do searches on past info or articles
- interactive; "hey guys, I am building a [name of kit] and I cant work out how to[do this step, paint this bit, what ever]
- can be forum specific, which is handy if only a certain field has interest for you
- multiple inputs, usually. Things like "what colour was the interior of a side car during the Spanish civil war" would generate answers like "German supplied was usually early war gray, native Spanish equipment was a dark tan colour until 1938, while any Russian stuff (rare) would be a Skoda green" [I made all that up - some one, some where, will have a question like that, and some one else will know the answer.]

When have I bought model mags?
- when traveling (planes, trains, etc) or
- to support the local industry here in Down Under. (we are kinda thin on the ground here!)

I make my online communities my first port of call, then I buy one mag, specifically for Australian Suppliers (Australian Model Art)

hope this helps

Cheers
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 11:21 PM UTC
I guess I'm one of those that go against the grain: I happen to like print matter

I don't have a i-berry or a black-phone, and I can't be arsed begging the teenager that runs our IT department for a wireless USB dongalongajobbie just so that I can surf the net for the 2 hours a day I spend on the train. Also, anyone ever tried using a laptop while packed in a sardine tin? A magazine or book is much more manageable.

Similarly, a book or mag is much easier to handle on the throne or lying in bed - if I bring a model mag or book to bed all I get from the missus is "modelling again? Don't switch the light off too late" compared to the "god, you're addicted to that bloody computer, why don't you just marry it instead" if I bring the laptop to bed.

IMO a magazine which is very underrated is Military in Scale. It covers armour, dios and aircraft. For me that's 2.5 out of 3 (I have only a slight interest in aircraft). The articles are well written and the mag is well edited. And best of all, the Editor actually models as well!

I've heard good things of Xtreme Modeler as well, although not personally read an issue.

I should add though, that I have the luxury of having a magazine shop near me that carries a fair range of modelling mags, and I generally have the opportunity to page through mags before buying them.

Rudi

p.s. Jamie, check out Magnation on Elizabeth Street in the Mel'city CBD - I think you'll be quite surprised
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hi Dave I used to buy all the magazines I could but after we had this discussion before on Armorama I stopped buying them regularly especially as Frank pointed out to me that for the price of two or three magazines I could buy a good reference book. There are enough sites around that can answer most questions anyway.

I still buy them occassionally as like Rudi I have the convenience of a large Newsagent shop where I can look through all the mags available to see if something grabs me and I'll be picking up the December and January issues of Military Modelcraft International speciuals on Lebanese Fireflys.

If you're interested in trick and tips for Allied Armor I recommend Steve Zaloga's new book "Modelling US Armor of World War 2" which is comprehensive and cost me 13.99 GBP which is roughly the price of two magazines. I'm sure there are similar books for other fields of modelling.

railbuilderdhd
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 01:31 AM UTC
All good points about everything you need on-line and I to agree this site is a wealth of information. I do however find a time or two that a printed item would be better then the mighty laptop. I now thing there may be a a better need for a reference book as Pat mentioned. Any more insight on that would be nice s well.
Dave
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 03:46 AM UTC
I agree with Rudi that your best bet might be to find a shop that stocks multiple issues of multiple magazines and pick and choose from those that you have an interest in. I don't think there is any magazine out there any longer that I'd want to subscribe to because there are so many articles that I don't have an interest in that I feel I waste my money on them.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I now thing there may be a a better need for a reference book as Pat mentioned. Any more insight on that would be nice s well.

Living in Sweden mags are expensive so that was a big factor in my stopping buying magazines. Personally, I found the Osprey modelling series briliant ... loads of tips and inspiration. A lot of the projects contained are advanced, but these will be useful for the future. Lots of subjects, so pick one that covers a subject you´re interested in.
Eventhough I pick up AFV Modeller on a regular basis its mostly for inspiration, but one mag I find is full of tips with great articles is "Panzer Aces". Its a Spanish mag but is released in english as well ... its expensive buy do try one. Its very useful for both beginners and for those who bear the scars of years playing with sharp knives and blades
 _GOTOTOP