_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
How to mount lead or copper foil to your mode
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 03:13 PM UTC
Most of us that scratch build will use sheet styrene or even lead foil.My question to all of you is,how do you cut and adhere this lead/copper foil to your vehicle?
I heard that it is great for the skirting and fenders of tanks. Also,where can you buy this foil?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 06:48 AM UTC
For mounting I use either CA, 5 minute epoxy, or Gator Glue.
I don't use copper foil, but sometimes use brass foil, better known as brass shim stock. K&S Engineering use to sell a small package of various thickness shim stock, although I no longer see it listed
My lead foil I picked up years ago from a long forgotten place I ran across on the internet, it ran me $30.00 for a 5 pound roll of .006 thickness by 3 inches wide lead foil. It has turned into a life time supply for me, sorry I no longer have the link, nor remember the name of the place since it was on my original computer, and when that died so did all the bookmarks.
Most on line hobby shops carry some sort of lead foil, under various brand name, Verlinden is one that come to my senile mind.
Brass and other metal shim stock, you can find at just about any engineering outfit. McMaster-Carr carries various thickness of shim stock. Do a search for Shim Stock
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 08:53 AM UTC
I've been using CA (superglue) for any brass or metal parts, although my wife has been pressing me to try E6000 glue. Like Dave said, I'd just do a google search on "Shim Stock"; I found a few places within minutes that sell some, though off hand I don't know what thicknesses would be best. I found a roll here that I think it's pretty similar to Dave's.

If there's a Hobby Lobby in your area, they sell small sheets of brass, though I don't think it's nearly as economical as buying a roll.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 01:43 PM UTC
These folks sell Lead sheet but 1/64.

Can be rolled out though.

Price might be a hold up also.

http://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Sheet-s/31.htm
newdriftking
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 75 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 05:14 AM UTC
I've got something called Tooling Foil, not sure if it will work for yourself but I'm doing some work for a dio of mine.

Got it from here http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/product_332140003.htm
Babcat
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 269 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 07:53 AM UTC
I pretty much stick with the CA glue too, both thick and thin... there are some pictures and info on different foil sources in my Jeep Wreck thread.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/133293#1108404
It's not always the easiest stuff to work with, but it can add alot of flexibilty to your build.

Good Luck
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
Jody,
If you can locate a Hobby Lobby, they have rolls of copper and other assorrted metal sheeting by the roll. Look for it in the embossing section of the store usually where they keep the stained glass stuff. I got a roll of copper and another roll whichis extremely soft and solders well. I believe it might be tin, but don't hold me to it. I usually use CA when gluing it, but have been known to use 5 minute epoxy for more working time. For extemely small parts, I use Future which works well as it leaves no visible marks and is usually strong enough to hold delicate parts with no load placed on them. HTH. "Q"
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi Jody

I've had nearly the identical experience as Dave had including not remembering exactly where I found my lead foil on the internet. I do remember that I found quite a few links to it in the medical field. The main difference is mine is actually a lead foil tape, meaning it comes already with a coat of adhesive on the back. This has been great in the cases of wanting to stick it onto something and if I choose not to then a bit of lacquer thinner takes the adhesive right off.
Try looking for "lead foil tape". It may seem a bit spendy but it'll likely last you a lifetime.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hi all,
instead of lead foil I opened up an exausted tube of mustard.
It glues with CA and takes paint well (acrilics, enamel and oil),it's free and you also have the plus of eating the inside.
If you need some pics, please look at my entry in Armorama relative to PkW 38T

ciao
Edo
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 06:20 PM UTC
Trouble is Mustard doesn't come in tubes here in the States as far as I know. Can probably do the same with the interior of toothpaste though. "And its minty fresh too!" "Q"
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 08:34 PM UTC
My fave is the foil from around the top of wine bottles (for obvious reasons). It is strong and pliable and pleasurable to obtain !!

Cheers, D
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:31 PM UTC
I'll vote for the wine bottles too. But they're getting harder to find as folks move away from cork to twist tops.
Check out the Ferro Rocher (sp?) chocholate candies, they come with a nice foil wrapper.
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 12:25 PM UTC
leave a note at local art schools asking for empty or almost empty tubes of paint .
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My fave is the foil from around the top of wine bottles (for obvious reasons). It is strong and pliable and pleasurable to obtain !!

Cheers, D

Unfortunately, the wines I drink come in bottles with screw tops rather than foil and a cork......think I should upgrade my tastes?

Semper Fi,
Dave
lighthorseman
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:48 PM UTC
ive found the foil in the top of a milo tin is also quite good plus you get all the chocolaty milo goodness as a bonus

wait other way around the foil is a bonus to the milo
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 02:22 PM UTC
I asked my Dentist during my last visit if they had any "left-over" lead foil, and they gave me a ziplock bag full.

I have to measure its thickness, but I can "thin" it if need be...

I also have used aluminum foil from the top of single yogurt containers. Even though it has a dimpled surface, it flattens out well and is thicker than normal food aluminum foil.
 _GOTOTOP