_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Why EBay?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 11:34 AM UTC
Why are members allowed to post EBay plugs? That steers people away from Kitmaker and allows for more clutter in the forums. I like to browse without having to view an extra 3 or 5 EBay plugs. Thought this site was dedicated to modellers and not EBay savvy auctioneers. Sorry, this is my only rant. It just goes all over me when I have to deal with 'junk' posts.
Matt N.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 12:07 PM UTC
Matt before I even check an Ebay plug I look to see the post count here, working on the theory that a person who posts here often is more likely to be trustworthy when it comes to making a purchase. Not fool proof I know but it has worked for me so far.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 03:22 PM UTC
Sorry, I was guilty of one of those not too long ago in the auto section. I was just doing it to help some of the truck building guys find some old OOP truck kits that my friend had{one of which I bought from him}.
Some of us have good intentions sometimes...
Henk
Visit this Community
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 09:38 PM UTC
If a member wants to highlight his or hers own Auction (considering it's modelling related obviously), then that is what the Buy, Sell and Trade forum is for. Such posts should not be posted in the other forums, if they are, they will be moved to the B,S,T forum.

if we miss one, or if a member feels that a post is inappropriate, please PM a staff member, and we can look into it.

Henk
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 05:06 AM UTC
If the post is in the buy/sell/trade forum, what's the big difference between it being an eBay post and a regular buy from me/trade with me here post?

My only pet peeve with eBay posts is if the same seller lists every single one of his auctions separately in different BST posts or conversely they just give a link and not tell you what they have for auction.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 05:22 AM UTC
Since there is a place on your account for your EBAY user ID, and it's been there since I became a member, I see no problem with people posting their EBAY auctions. Since the sites owner put that place on each members account for every members to post their EBAY ID, I would assume his has no problem with it either. I personally have no problems with members trying to auction off their excess stash, or plugging their auctions, or simply posting their for sale or trade in the BST forums.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 05:57 AM UTC
Wow Dave,never noticed that in the profile about EBAY moniker. I gotta pay more attention,but I'm broke right now........
Rick
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 01:26 AM UTC
If some one wants to post a E-bay plug in the BST forums let them . Doesn't bother me in the least bit .

If you don't like it , then don't read them !
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt before I even check an Ebay plug I look to see the post count here, working on the theory that a person who posts here often is more likely to be trustworthy when it comes to making a purchase. Not fool proof I know but it has worked for me so far.

Here Here.

Auction sites can be useful but virtually everyone knows they are there and we don't need to be reminded about them all the time.

Des
lespauljames
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If some one wants to post a E-bay plug in the BST forums let them . Doesn't bother me in the least bit .

If you don't like it , then don't read them !

^^^this^^^^
seriously, its a free internet!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 07:49 PM UTC
Im sure for every member who is annoyed about threads like this, there are a couple who want to see them, and hopefully find a bargin from someone they can trust.
Theres lots of things on this site, that Im not particularily fond of, but I have no problem skipping them and just look at the threads that interest me.
You can also click on the armor heading and see only threads regarding armor ... if thats your interest area.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So a number count makes a difference? Wow To me if they have high numbers and not been on long enough to average out then they just like to have a high number. I would just as soon not see ANY count as it means nothing to me. Yep I have a low number but I;m no different than any other member on here
Sabot
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 01:04 AM UTC
Just a word to the wise regarding site usage, post count and dependability; the biggest scammer this site has had to date was the former armor editor. He was well liked, "trustworthy" and a well known staff member so when folks asked where their stuff was the old "check is in the mail" and "got lost in the mail" excuses kept folks at bay.

Most chalked up their losses to real problems with the mail. It wasn't until mulitple members who had lost big money (hundreds to over a thousand) to the man made it known to the BST moderator that his plan unraveled and he vanished without a trace leaving a good number of members out either models or money.
Vic
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a word to the wise regarding site usage, post count and dependability; the biggest scammer this site has had to date was the former armor editor. He was well liked, "trustworthy" and a well known staff member so when folks asked where their stuff was the old "check is in the mail" and "got lost in the mail" excuses kept folks at bay.

Most chalked up their losses to real problems with the mail. It wasn't until mulitple members who had lost big money (hundreds to over a thousand) to the man made it known to the BST moderator that his plan unraveled and he vanished without a trace leaving a good number of members out either models or money.

Ahhh yes, I remember him well. Never did get my money back.

Best excuse he gave me was that he was in Iraq and would sort things out on his return.

Vic
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hard to believe it's been 4 years since he vanished with everyone's money or stuff.
Vic
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hard to believe it's been 4 years since he vanished with everyone's money or stuff.

Wow, yeah. Didn't realise it'd been that long.
Hard to forget some things though isn't it.

Nice to speak to you again, hope all's well

Vic
 _GOTOTOP