_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Sci-Fi
This is a group for sci-fi scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
ACUTR - Post Apocalypse Truck
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC
I started this last week but just now finally got around to starting the build log. This is my first attempt at scratch building, so I used the Revell 99' Cheverolet Silverado truck as the base. The general theme for this is Mad Max meets Zombie Apocalypse. It's OK, I'm totally comfortable with my geeky nerd quotient. On to the photos!

At this point I'm just following the steps since the engine and frame are going to be left unchanged.

And the engine in situ. Since I hand paint everything, I usually paint as I go:

I decided that I wanted chains on the tires with the idea that they would help give traction in the loose sand and dirt after the land was destroyed. Plus, they just look good, right? I think the scale is a little oversized, but it'll suffice I guess.

Fully assembled:

And now with some paint:

Frame and wheels together:

Time to start slicing up the body and some styrene... Thanks for looking!
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 02:26 PM UTC
Looking cool Adam. That will be a great project when finished.

The Mad Max movies are among my favorite movies. In fact all three of them are on television tonight.

I was originally going to build an up-armored WWII jeep. It wasn't really what I wanted to build but I thought I would give it a try as I thought it would be a simple project. However I think you have a great idea for a project and if you wouldn't object to me copying your idea I might try my hand at a Mad Max type vehicle myself. I hate to be a copy cat but I like your idea. So if you don't mind I might build a post-apocalyptic vehicle as well.

Thanks,

HARV
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 03:18 PM UTC
Hi Harv,

Thanks for looking. If you want to make your own, I say go for it; the more the merrier!
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:32 AM UTC
Looks like you guys are gonna have some company. I just started my "end of the world - post apocolypse - zombie chase truck tonight.

Hermon
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 12:41 PM UTC
That's fantastic, Hermon! If I wasn't already using this model in the ACUTR campaign, I'd start my own. Maybe in the future...

More pictures to come soon; I've gotten a lot more completed but I've been lazy about uploading.
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:07 PM UTC
Can't wait to see more of your truck Adam. I have to say this is one of my favorite subjects and it's nice to build what's on your mind without worrying about accuracy and historical facts. BTW, those chains are sick. If I didn't have a billion hours already tied up in making my tires I'd go with chains as well.

So lets see some more pic's.

Hermon
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 02:22 PM UTC
OK, update ahoy:

Inside cab, the only other part of the original kit that I kept.

Onto the new backend:

I bought this from hobby lobby; instant chainlink!

Assembled and attached to the cab with some paint:

The beginnings of the front end:

Inside shots of the back end:

More work on the front end and cab:

The top of the cab and a dry fit off the various sections:

Plenty more to do; stay tuned!
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 04:14 PM UTC
Man, you've got some talent. Not to mention a great imagination. I never would have thought about the chainlink. Cool idea. The toolboxs look good and the pad lock is a nice touch. Seeing what you've done so far is making me rethink some of my ideas.

NIce work so far
Hermon
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
Thanks! This is my first attempt at scratchbuilding, so it's a learning process for me. Today I am tackling water tanks and some other miscellaneous items that go inside the truck.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:10 AM UTC

Awesome scratch, man! This is what this campaign is ALL about! I especially like the chained tires! Awesome wire work.
That mesh is pretty cool. I'd assume I can find that at the Hobby Lobby. I'll take a look. It looks like some handy stuff.
I was just writing in Hermons Zombie Truck thread how I love dollar stores at the holidays because they always have some mesh ribbon material for present wrapping along with wire ornament hooks. Good SB material.
Keep taking pics, man! You're a natural!

Cuhail
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:27 PM UTC
Thanks for looking Cuhail! The mesh is indeed from hobby lobby (as the price tag says), as was the aluminum sheeting that I used (it comes in a roll for 11.99, or something like that). I think this was a good starting point for me because I don't need to worry about exact measurements for scale with this.

A cable that I'll put on the back door (once I make one, that is):

Some small cans to go on the floor inside the truck. These were made with aluminum sheets and styrene.

The next three are for water barrels that will be on the sides of the truck. These were also made from aluminum sheets and styrene.

I might make another pair to go with these, but I think I will opt for other stowage instead (like some gas tanks, or something like that).
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:42 PM UTC
Adam, those tanks look great. Very realistic. Needless to say I'll be stealing that idea as well.

Hermon
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 08:29 PM UTC
Adam, you and Hermon are ganging up on me and trying to drag me into having a go at one of these units. Super work on this one so far, loving every post, and some real good photos as well.

Just one suggestion, drop the Les Paul and grab a Strat !!

Cheers mate, D
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC
Haha... c'mon Damian, you know you want to. It does seem only fitting, as you live in Road Warrior-Land. Thanks for checking in!

Btw... you're going to have a hard time prying the Les Paul from my hands (not that I'd say 'no' to an american-made strat, though)!
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:13 PM UTC
Adam, looking around the shop at work today I noticed some 1/2 inch PVC water line couplings that are really close in scale to the barrels you made. So I stole......er.....that is.....I borrowed some for instructional purposes only and relocated them to my house. I think I can wrap a thin piece of foil around the top, bottom and middle to replicate the ribs. Anyway, I'm lazy and it seemed easier than cutting aluminum.

Hermon
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:34 AM UTC
What can I say... I enjoy a challenge. Actually, it really wasn't that hard to use aluminum; I just used a connector for a microphone I had laying around as a form to wrap the aluminum around. The trickier part was making the ends from styrene and glueing them flush. The first side is easy because you can access it from both sides, but I had to lay the second side down on the table and carefully set the tank onto it, then flip it and let some CA run into the cracks to glue it in place.
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 11:08 AM UTC
Some more odds and ends... the first is a box which I don't think I'll actually use because it's too large. Also, I don't think it's as tidy as I would like.

Next are a couple of gas tanks I made:

I suppose two is enough, although I could always make another two for the other side... nah. I'll figure something else out to stick on there.
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 11:41 AM UTC
Adam, you're starting to remind me of that friggin' smart kid in school who always has the right answers and everything he does turns out great.
Since I'm at the point where I basically copy everything you do it would be easier for me if you would just make extra barrels and cans and send them to me so I don't have to waste the effort.

No, seriously the cans look awsome. The only thing I'd add would be an imprinted X in the center of the sides of the cans like real ones have added for strength. Maybe with a round file or something......just a finishing touch. Still look great as they are.

Hermon
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:13 PM UTC
lol... it's all careful photography my friend. I really made everything from macaroni noodles and elmer's glue.

I don't have any files or anything or I would have tried to put an X on the cans; I'll save that for next time!
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 07:07 PM UTC
I think there might be some weapons inside this one:

And... some tools made from tooth picks:

cheers!
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:18 AM UTC
Some more goodies and paint for perusal:

I actually just remembered I meant to paint the caps black on these:

This one is a little blurry because I took it with my cellphone, and then forgot to take a better one with the digital camera.

Last but not least, something every good zombie slayer needs (even if in reality it's not very practical):
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hey Adam, looking good ! I love the worn paint effects you've got going. Every post you guys put up gives me more ideas for our campaign next year. Keep it up mate and have a great Chrissy !!

Cheers, D

PS Strat Strat Strat hehe
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:16 AM UTC
Adam, dude....I'm totally NOT gay but I'm starting to love you man. That chainsaw is off the hook! And again, I will probably be stealing this idea as well.

Hermon
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 01:28 PM UTC

Those accessories look great! I like the machetes and that chainsaw is sick! The gas cans need some cap detail added, but, otherwise, steady as she goes!

More please!

Cuhail
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 06:54 PM UTC
Thanks for looking, guys!

Hermon, I feel your love in a purely platonic way.

Cuhail: I thought the same thing about the gas cans after I took the picture. Hopefully I won't forget to paint the caps

I've got a picture of the painted chainsaw in place in the back of the truck, but I was waiting until I got more done before I uploaded. Been sick with a cold or something... blech.
 _GOTOTOP