_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Best way to apply Squadron putty
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 03:59 PM UTC
Someone posted a question a few days ago about how to thin Squadron putty, but I've got a a few follow-up questions. First, what consistency should I shoot for ... or does it depend on what you're patching? Second, what do you apply it with? I tried thinning it with liquid cement in a milk cap and applying it with the edge of a razor. Came out pretty rough, so just curious to know whether there's an ideal applicator.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 01:35 AM UTC
I usually thin it with Fingernail polish remover with acetone int0 it to the consistency of thick paint ( yes depending on what/ where your filling). It dries quickly so you have to work fast. Can be applied with and old brush or small straight edge along the place to fill.

I actually use an old piece of a windshield wiper blade to remove the excess from the seam or area being filled. It is firm enough to remove excess but soft enough to bend to any contours that are in that area. ( No flat spots).

Then smooth it out with a Q-tip/ cotton bud dampened with the fingernail polish remover to smooth it out.

Hope this helps..

Paul
chukw1
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 05:54 AM UTC
Here's an excellent SBS: Swanny's Models
mvfrog
Visit this Community
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC
For a good tool, try a palette knife...readily available in a number of sizes for small to large from any art supply store. Artists use them to apply paint to canvases. Not expensive; a little spring to them, and different shapes to the point. Excellent tool.

Matt
Damraska
Visit this Community
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 02:24 PM UTC
Squadron Putty shrinks, so you have to apply more than you need. The more you thin it, the more it shrinks after application. I use a toothpick to apply it. I keep thinned putty handy in an old Testors 1/2 oz glass paint jar. If it gets too thick, I just add more liquid cement. I use the cap from an empty bottle of Testors Liquid Cement, minus the brush, to seal it. The plastic insert resists the putty and thinner, unlike the cardboard insert in most paint lids.

-Doug
 _GOTOTOP