History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
American Heritage Books for Kids
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 06:10 AM UTC
Now that my older son is of an age where he is showing increasing interest in the history behind the dioramas I work on, I started thinking back to my youth (now long ago I must admit) and the American Heritage books I used to check out of the school library. In particular I vividly remember volumes on The Battle of the Bulge and The Civil War. They were well written for kids and had lots of age appropriate pictures and maps. I especially remember the maps in the Civil War book as they showed each battle by showing small individual soldiers, for example charging across Burnside's Bridge at Antietam, etc. I checked the American Heritage website and it does not appear they still produce these books. Anyone know if these have found their way into print by another publisher, or can recommend similar books suitable for pre-teen kids?

Keith
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 07:42 AM UTC
We found a set of the American Heritage books for youth at a local thrift store. You could also check on the web. Try a home school group as such books are usually traded or sold frequently. I remember reading the "We were there" series of history books when I was 8 or 9. It gave a historical account from the perspective of two or three children who were "witnesses" to what was going on. I believe Usborne (?) also produces a series of history books.
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC
Kieth -

Check out www.abebooks.com. It's a world-wide bookstore and I bet they have what you looking for.

kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 04:19 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll check into adebooks.com.

Keith