TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Hurt Locker
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 04:05 AM UTC
About a US EOD team in Iraq in 2004.

Have you guys seen it? What's your views?

Although I read it was released in mid year in the US, I just caught the movie yesterday on the big screen over here! I never saw any trailers on TV of it! Thank goodness I do a lot of googling to keep up with new movies..

The film came across as pretty believable, I wouldn't know about EOD tactics and all...but based on what I've hear personally - from a "Humanitarian" perspective of all the hell going on over there, particularly the constant usage of IEDs... The film comes pretty spot on.

There's an ininteresting and also sad take with PMC guys as well.

Although I only recognised Jeremy Renner (28 weeks later), the acting was superb, at times like a documentary...flawless and convincing.

If you haven't caught it.. GOT FOR IT when it's out on DVD!

My 2 cents..
armfeldt
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 05:52 AM UTC
I caught last week in the theatre (Sweden is a bit behind in these respects...) and I thought it was great!

I don't know how realistic it was, but it was sufficiently realistic for me, but the most impressive was the suspense, it felt like those IED's could go off at any time. Sweaty...

The contrast to the suburban family life (the endless cereal aisle) is very strong.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents..
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 03:57 PM UTC
I just watched it. Amazing movie for a modern military enthusiest like myself. I recommend the movie to anyone here. Especially if you can get it for $5.99 on PPV like me. It made me instantly want to make a dio of the sniper scene. Then I remebered that an M1114 conversion is out of my price range. I would also like to add that there are numerous inaccuracies but that goes along with almost all war movies.
Evan
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 12:14 PM UTC
Just picked up the DVD. Great movie. Highly recommended - two thumbs way up!
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 03:56 PM UTC
http://thehurtlocker-movie.com/

I saw it on DVD. I like it

this was a cool scene

http://moorethanthis.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/the_hurt_locker_movie_review_stills_20091.jpg

GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 12:49 PM UTC
Talk about something to make your arse pucker - that bomb suit is not going to do much if those IEDs go off.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 01:03 PM UTC
True, there are a few scenes where he realizes this

LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 05:47 PM UTC
Just watched it on PPV. I thought it was boring. I worked in EOD several centuries ago and I'll tell you right now that a guy like the lead character wouldn't have been allowed to stick around in the unit. Hero cowboys are not welcome in EOD units.

The picture shows the most glaring, stupid, pathetic thing in the movie. Upon finding a wire in the dirt - YOU DON"T PULL ON IT!!
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 12:39 AM UTC
Several of my former patients are EOD techs coming out of OIF/OEF and they give the movies impression a 50/50. I myself enjoyed it for the popcorn factor.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 12:29 PM UTC
popcorn factor ...

me too. I didn't take it as accurate reality. I knew I was watching a movie

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 01:54 AM UTC
Finally got it on DVD and will watch tonight. Has to be better than "Redacted".

Also got the Generation Kill box set....
casailor
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 10:49 AM UTC
I was EOD a long time ago. The other poster's comments about a hero is accurate. However the scene where the tech takes off the suit while working on the car rings pretty true. We weren't worried about devices that would kill us, just the little ones that would hurt us. When I was in, we had grunts to provide security and worked in two man teams. It's seems a waste of expensive trained talent to have EOD techs watching for badguys while they work. The pulling on wires was a really stupid scene, but ther effect was impressive- it really added to the pucker factor of the scene.

On the whole an enjoyable movie, but I doubt the realism. If you want to see a realistic depiction of EOD work, find a tape of an old BBC series "Danger UXB" from the seventies. It was based on the Brit teams in WWII and was accurate based on what I learned in EOD school at Indianhead.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 12:49 PM UTC
I saw the movie last weekend while at NG Drill. I'm not EOD qualified, but have been a Combat Engineer for over 29 years.

Entertaining as a story and fiction, but at least half of it was inaccurate from an EOD and Army Combat Engineer standpoint. I do agree that the above pictured scene with EOD SFC pulling the multiple Arty shells by their detonation lines was HIGHLY inaccurate but a quite effective emotional way to show it.

The way the EOD team worked the first IED at the start of the movie was a little more accurate (careful, precise procedures), and the sniper scene was decent, but I think the Ranger-tabbed EOD SFC firing the Barrett and the EOD SGT spotting for him more believable.

The scene with the VBIED in the Green Zone would have been more acceptable if they had added something about the device having a timer and they couldn't evacuate the area in time, making it necessary for the EOD team to diffuse the VBIED. Unless I missed something...

The EOD SFC acting like a loner cowboy instead of being the NCOIC was also off, especially for a small, highly trained and experienced group. My Combat Engineer Instructors run our Demolitions Range in a far more professional NCO manner.

But I did enjoy it as entertainment.
lisatiffany
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 12:07 PM UTC
i saw it about a year ago when it had its first screening (i work in film) & loved it then, i did wonder if anything would have been changed for its official release but the story seemed intact. if i could use one word to describe it, it would be "intense". the acting is top-notch & when the action does happen it puts you right in the middle of the situation. i was getting tired of the same old war movies which depened on telling the story through an ordinary soldier or squads eyes, i'd known nothing about bomb disposal in the military & hurt locker really opened my eyes to the risks involved. i really can't say a bad word against it except i wish it had been released earlier like it was supposed to have been - watch it if you haven't yet = )
casailor
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 01:03 PM UTC
What class were you in at Indianhead? I was in the infamous 26.5 S '71. We got the blame for flooding the enlisted club at Indianhead the night we arrived. We were also the smallest class (6 men) ever to graduate.
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,548 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 - 03:34 AM UTC
What was that big wheeled thing at the start?
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 11:03 AM UTC
the robot?
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi guys
Watched the hurt locker last night.
I'm sorry but I was really dissapointed with it.I found it very cliched.
As popcorn factor not bad.
Personally I preferred GENERATION KILL.

Chris

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 03:56 PM UTC
no need for sorry, Bro.
You didn't like it, that's cool.
I also like GK. I don't have HBO so I saw it by alternative methods

Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 378 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 01:34 PM UTC
I didnt mind it from a non serving frame of mind when you are a serving member war movies sudenly become stupid as you become the ultimate critic as per your own experiance if they did it correct and accurate no one else would understand and they wouldnt make the big bucks as it would be slow and deliberate.
saying that I did like the ending when hes at the supermarket and is overwhelmed by the selection of cereal I know that feeling.
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
I'm sure that a service member seeing this movie would probably shake his/her head in disgust just from the inevitable inaccuracies that result from the Hollywoodization of any military story. I'm a lawyer by profession and I absoultely don't watch lawyer movies or lawyer television shows for that same reason.
That having been said, I thought it was spellbinding entertainment, right up there with Blackhawk Down and We Were Soldiers. The ending did ring true to me - how do you go back to picking out breakfast cereals at your local supermarket once you have experienced something like that?

Bob
casailor
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 12:06 PM UTC
The master EOD badge came with being Nuclear qualified as well as obtaining a certain rank. At least that's what I remember from 1971.

Being a Ranger wouldn't necessarily disqualify you from being EOD, although the two MOSs attracted different types of troops. The Rangers were jocks who were adrenaline junkies, the EOD techs tended to be Nerds who could tolerate exposure to adrenaline. The school tended to screen out the glory hounds in favor of people who would sit back and evaluate a suituation before they acted.

I'm not up on modern practices, but in my day EOD techs only served in their teams. You wouldn't have an active EOD tech assigned to a non-EOD unit. There were never enough of us to disperse. In fact our units tended to be understrength per to&e.
casailor
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 02:57 PM UTC
The '70's were a long time ago, but that is my recollection, It an indication of qualification, not experience with live ordnance or combat time.