_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Best place to buy pigments?
all_lucky7777
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 08:37 PM UTC
Well, I kinda fell outta modeling for a while.... How are you all doing?

Anyways... I had never actually looked at finding a retailer for pigments until now. Mig has them at 3 1/2 euros, which is like $5 a bottle... and they are only 20ml.

I know I can get artists pigment from a specialty company (there is only one company doing it now) but its about $10 for a lot more substance. That limits my options though as I have to buy half as many colors for the same price. And of course, I'm nowhere near sure its even what I think it is.

I'm fine with $5 a bottle if it must be that way, but I figure I just don't know my way around local (meaning US) sites. I build models for Warhammer 40k and other wargames, so I'm not familiar with the sites that sell historical kits. And my corner of this hobby hasn't really found pigments yet, so none of those sites carry them.

Actually, check this out: Forge World Pigments We are starting to get it. They also have a book that seems to be based off of what they learned from Mig. Or so I hear.

So, my questions are thus: Is there another brand besides Mig's, or is there a place where I can buy pigments at a discount a la Vallejo paint? Also, whats best for the model, regardless of price?

Thanks!
-Zack
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 11:03 PM UTC
You can buy MIG pigments from MIG Productions USA, which is run by Rick Lawler, a member here and one helluva modeller. When I bought my first pigments I went for a set, as it was definitely the best value for money - and yes, I've used a bit of each colour. I also bought a separate pot of white to lighten colours.

Alternatively, Vallejo have recently released their range of pigments which are said to be based on Migs. I would imagine most Vallejo stockists keep them - give coloradominiatures.com a try.

Many will tell you that there's not much difference between artist pigments and hobby/model pigments. I can't comment on that as I've not used the former, but I have heard that the model pigment are finer (more finely crushed). I have however noticed the difference in oil paints where one brand uses a finer pigment than another - and based on that I personally prefer the finer pigment.

Just my 0.02c, and I'm all for folks disagreeing with me - they're entitled to their opinions
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 05:27 AM UTC
andrea pigments are pretty good you can get them direct from them
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hi Zach,
If you want the best quality weathering pigments at a much better value, get them from Bragdon Enterprises - http://www.bragdonent.com/smpic/item6.htm
These guys have been making modeling weathering pigments for decades and I use them extensively. I also have colors from Mig and two other brands but I always buy Bragdon when I need the colors they make.
You get 60 ml for $6 USD and if you buy all their colors you need very few others.
They are in California and I highly recommend them.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 08:59 AM UTC
Judging by the reviews here on Armorma the WarPig pigments are worth considering.
scottgperry
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 04:05 AM UTC
The best pigments and sets are at Dr. Ben's. http://www.drbens.com/

He's got more colors and they come in flat, wide mouth containers which are easier to use. I like the binder better as it holds to plastic much more readily. You can't beat his color selection. I use his stains, too.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 07:00 AM UTC
I just tested DOA pigments DOA Pigments for a review and they are equal in quality to Bragdon and Mig. They are $5 for 60ml and are in Florida.
brentwal
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 100 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just tested DOA pigments DOA Pigments for a review and they are equal in quality to Bragdon and Mig. They are $5 for 60ml and are in Florida.

Or $25.00 + shipping for all 7 colors.
 _GOTOTOP