_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Requested infos : Casspir / 20 mm Gun mount
KeroJP8
Visit this Community
Seine-et-Marne, France
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi,

I am interested in building a 1/35 Casspir from Baxmod models (I already got the kit) and wish to depict it with the Hispano MkV 20mm gun that was used in the 80's during Koevet's ops.

Unfortunately I can't find any information or accurate picture about this special mounting.

I read the 20 mm guns were taken from Rhodesian Vampires and mounted on the truck. Were these mounts widespread in the units or exceptions ? Were these also used during Modular operation in 1987 ?

Many questions, huh ...

Any help welcome. Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Richard
KeroJP8
Visit this Community
Seine-et-Marne, France
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 06:29 AM UTC
I have found a pic, out of a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBqc7FbIcyY) but it is not very accurate...

Has any one got information about that ?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Richard
Pankop
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 07:29 PM UTC
With regard to your question. Koevoet "upgunned" their Casspirs in some instances, but not always. Brig. (Later General) Sterk hans Dreyer had a twin 20 mm mounted on his casspir that was "borrowed" from the SAAF. If you can get hold of Peter Stiff's book - Koevoet you will find ample reference.

The standard Casspir MG mount was a tubular frame on a gearlike system above the co-driver/radio operator on the left of the vehicle. Inside a bicycle handle with brake levers was used to cock and fire the weapon. When they added heavier weapons they simply modified the exsisting mount to accommodate the larger weapon. There was nothing fancy or intricate about it. It was actually very crude in design and therefore served its purpose very effectively. The standard gun on all Police casspirs from 1968 to 1990 was the FN MAG known here as the LMG (Light Machine Gun)

I hope this helps.
arndurand
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:29 PM UTC
Hi Richard the person in the picture happens to be me and that was my Casspir ZF 3 that was not the British MK V from the Rhodesian Vampire, I replace it with a Yugoslavian HS 404 20 x 110 mmR converted to 20 x 110 mm and barrel cut shorter as in the picture. Here is the original Brit MK V from the Vampire Jet and MK I Casspir ZF 1, I inherited it from Lt Frans Conradie after his death on Friday 23 September 1983 but soon replaced the Casspir with a MK II turbo and the 20 mm with a HS 404.
Feel free to contact me if you want more pictures and information on those Casspirs and guns.

If the picture does not come through feel free to contact me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/arndurand

Kind Regards Arn Durand @ Jim
 _GOTOTOP