_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Lathes
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 03:14 AM UTC
I have been offered the lathe in this link at a really good price. If you have a lathe do you think they are worth the investment, and does this lathe seem a good deal.
Look here
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 07:12 AM UTC
That seems like a fairly versatile tool. It is more than a lathe, so I would say if you have a use for it, or anticipate using the drill press, etc, go for it. Looks like a quality tool, also. I believe in getting the best that I can when it comes to any tool. Get it and let us know how it goes...

Matt

P.S. This is not a 'woodworking' tool exclusively. Take a look at the headstock on the lathe and you can see that it is useful for precision metal applications. I would say that this is more a precision metal tool, but wouldn't rule out turning or drilling wood also.
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 07:32 AM UTC
The purchase of a wood working tools should based on how often you use it and the return you will get from it. I have wanted a lathe for a long time but it is toward the bottom of my list but I am getting there. What will you make with it? A rotor would be a good investment for the model hobby because you can make some nice stands and displayed.

My $0.02.
Tony
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 08:08 AM UTC
It would allow me to turn wheels, barrels, and ammunition, I can also think of a few timess it would have come in very handy. At the moment if I need a lathe I wait until I go to my uncles and use his, this would allow me to play until my hearts content. In truth I am unsure if I want to be talked into or out of buying this item.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 11:52 AM UTC
Do you not hear the siren's call, softly.........."buy me, Darren, buy me." You can do some amazing things with this tool. In graduate school, I had the use of a full machine shop, and I turned and machined some amazing stuff from plexiglass and aluminum as well as the usual steel, brass, etc. If you can draw it, you can make it. I know you can draw it!!! Go for it: if you're3 gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.

Matt
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 01:50 PM UTC
I would say not to buy it at the price given in the link. But you said that you got a good deal, so I assume better than that.
Yeah, bench top mill/lathes are very useful, especially for the functions you already described above

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 09:42 PM UTC
I would be getting it for just over a quarter of the price stated which is why I am really tempted, however it is still a big outlay for me in the current crises.
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
entire network: 395 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC
, From personal experience I would avoid buying a 3n1, mainly because they lack rigidity in the mill head to do any decent work, also you have a very limited X and Y axis.
Another reason to stay away from that one is because the spindle speed is not high enough for the small cutters you would be using (3000 rpm should be the minimum for that size). You are far better off waiting and saving for a separate lathe and mill.
After owning my 3n1 for a couple of months I very quickly found it's limitations (regarding X and Y axis travel, and spindle speed) so then had to try and sell it and get separate lathe and mill.
Just my thoughts on the subject .
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
CMOT,

This link MicroMark Lathe is for just a Lathe and might give you some additional information or an alternate source.
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be getting it for just over a quarter of the price stated which is why I am really tempted, however it is still a big outlay for me in the current crises.

Machining is a hobby all in itself. It's a hell of a lot of fun and what you can do it mostly limited by your experience and imagination.
I've had a Sherline lathe and mill for years and have made everything from model parts (main gun barrels and breaches, detail parts, wheels, to name a few) to gun parts (triggers, an extractor for a .22 cal rifle, firing pins, bedding blocks, etc.).

I'm a huge fan of Sherline but at the price you state it would be silly to pass it up.
Just remember, the lathe is only the beginning! Soon you'll find there are dozens, if not hundreds of accessories you will end up "needing".

If you decide to get (and at around 150 GBP I think you should) there are some very good books on the subject of machining that you should buy at the same time.
Joe Martin's "Tabletop Machining" is directed mostly at the Sherline product but the ideas are broadly applicable.
"Machining Fundamentals" by John R, Walker is one of hundreds of available text books that will give you a solid foundation.

The only warning I would give is to make sure that that your combo-tool (lathe/mill combo) is in good shape, that all the moving parts are tight with little or no backlash that you can feel, that there are no major dents or scratches on the ways, and that the motors are in good shape.
Also be sure to check if replacement parts are available at a reasonable price.

Good luck to you and post pictures when you bring the thing home!

Mark
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC
Thank you all for your input on this subject, I will give it a week before I make my mind up. The advice you have offered is very helpful.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
I do agree with mark. I too have a Sherline Mill & Lathe. the 3 in 1's do have some inherent design issues... and some of the chineese machines with care and be quirte reliable. there's a few site's on the web dedicated to such machines.
 _GOTOTOP