_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
James may's toy stories
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,096 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hay all
I don't know if anyone saw this on BBC2 last night? it is a new show hosted by james may of top gear fame about toys from his youth and th first episode was all about airfix kit. he involed a clas of 13 year olds in building airfix kits with the end result being a project to build a 1/1 scale spitfire kit.

[url=[/url] http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nnm3d/James_Mays_Toy_Stories_Airfix/
ludwig113
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 03:20 AM UTC
hi,yeah i watched it,pretty good viewing.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
I saw it pretty good but very indulgent on his part. He never mentioned any other company than Airfix. My main memory of Airfix kits is intense frustration at ill fitting parts. If you want to recreate the 70s then thats fine but not if you want to get kids interested in modelling. My daughter (7) watched it with me and I promised to buy her a model to practice on - not Airfix though
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 09:05 AM UTC
Unfortunately we Yanks get this message:
"Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only"

I guess we'll have to wait for the pirates to post them on U-tube.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,096 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is on you tube now i just tried it if you search for james mays toy stories it should be there?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It is on you tube now i just tried it if you search for james mays toy stories it should be there?

Thank you.
driffowl
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 11:11 PM UTC
hi i agree with pat in the most part ,that he did only mention airfix and that the kits could be frustrating .however in defence of james if he was like me we had very little money when i was a kid and the only kits i could afford were airfix ones.the tamiya ones i seem to remember were a lot more expensive,having said that my memory is like the rest of me not what it was.still generally speaking i thought it was great that any programme which encouraged kids into modelling ought to be praised.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hi folks

I have very fond memories of building many airfix and matchbox kits at the earliest stages of my modelling career. To my mind, there was never very much between the level of detail or fit of parts between these makers.

The interesting thing that I think some might forget is that as basic kits, the end product was only as good as the skill level you had anyway. Better modellers would make stunning models from these so called basic and ill fitting kits.

If providing these basic, cheeper kits, with none of the high end detailing frets of resin, white and PE parts that need microscopes and robot assisted build technology to put the kit together, and a second mortgage to buy, gets kids starting off on the hobby, then I for one say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Good On Ya James May for only mentioning Airfix!!!!!!!!!!!

I have loads of Airfix kits I still have to build for the first and also umteanth time.

LONG LIVE AIRFIX

Nige
tornado64
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 203 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC
fantastic programme and spot on , when i first started modelling it was on airfix bagged red stripe kits
the only real sway away from airfix was frog or matchbox , but 99.9 % of us the same age as james may our first kit was airfix
in the sixties there was very little sellection or serious competition from other companies , frog ironicaly was owned by triang ( now hornby ) so although frog was a main rival it was never going to be a main contender as their primary business was model railways

tamiya was baught by or for older modellers as mentioned it was quite pricey but well detailed if you were realy lucky at christmass like me once
you got a 1/35 tamiya tank i got the tamiya tiger 1 and a stug once

sure there were others like revell , frog , etc etc but at that time airfix was a major uk brand at a time after the war where folks were still very patriotic

i had a friend ( died recently ) that was in a japanese p.o.w. camp and he would not have anything japanese in his house he never made his peace and went to the grave like that

so the only real home products were frog and airfix as a lot back then would not entertain japanese or german .... fact

the thing was with airfix you learned to model , as their marketing is spot on they have to tread a fine line between what is easyish for a begginer and ok for an accomplished modeller

they never prettend to be the full blown dogs bo**ocks , but to be fair even at their worst 1/48 tornado f3 they are far from unusable for an accomplished modeller

at the end of the day you have to remember who kits are aimed at most manufacturers aim at profficent modellers airfix do a superb job by aiming at begginers and accomplished at the same time !!!
 _GOTOTOP