_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Photo Critique
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 01:49 PM UTC
I constructed the photo cube from NebLWeffah's thread here and wanted some help in critiquing my photos.

The cube/box as per instructions:
Photobucket

100 watt bulb on the left and a 60 watt on the right:
Photobucket

I experimented with dark and light blue poster board. Some photos were with the 100w facing direct on and some with it angled off.

1. with dark blue and direct facing of 100w.
Photobucket

2.with light blue and indirect facing of 100w.
Photobucket

3.before editing:
Photobucket

4.after editing:
Photobucket

5. before editing:
Photobucket

6. after editing:
Photobucket

7. before editing:
Photobucket

8. after editing:
Photobucket

I am wondering where the happy medium is, correct lighting, background, editing, or a combination of all three.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Robert
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 05:42 PM UTC
Robert, I like photos 2, 5 and 8. Number 8 could do with some cropping to make it fill more of the frame,picture. These are just personal opinions. I've seen a few people trying different photo settings and it is telling me that it's quite involved.

Hope I helped,
AJ
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 06:14 PM UTC
AJB I see what you mean re: 8 and I have been looking into some different lamps and bulbs before the next time I take photos. Thanks for you input.

Robert
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,847 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC
Hey Robert, nice experimental shots you have there and cool photo box you've constructed. My wife is taking a photo course at the local college so I too have been experimenting more than modelling. One thing she said her instructor stressed is that an underexposed picture is better than an overexposed. The latter contains more detail when modified with software. The main software things to tweak after exposure are saturation, temperature and tint. From what I recall they control the colours. You want to manipulate them to achieve the most accurate representation of the subject's natural colours. She's out at the moment or I'd ask her opinion of your shots. I'd also like to agree with AJ's comments. Keep experimenting.

Cheers,
Jan
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi Jan:
Thanks for the input, and please do so again especially re: lighting. I think that I need to place (3) lights instead of the (2) that have been used. Next time a light will also beplaced directley overhead.

Robert
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,847 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 06:13 AM UTC
Robert, I've tried various lighting and flash settings and the possibilities are endless. As I haven't used a light box the only comment that I can make is that the lights on each side should be equal wattage. From what I can see your light box material appears on the thick side. I've seen several box builders that recommend something akin to tissue paper. A light box kit that I saw at a local photo supply shop used a gauze like material on the sides and two florescent lamps.

My experience with a dedicated flash for my camera is that some of the best flash pictures occur with a diffused bounce flash. Got to get ready for work now so I'll see about posting more later.

Cheers,
Jan
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hi Jan:
Thanks for the help, I will need to obtain some vellum paper.

Robert
katharina
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 02:12 AM UTC
Great start! Nice crisp lines etc. . . I notice that a number of your photos are under exposed. . . .when I see your photo booth it looks like you could go to a full 24 inch bar across and get more overhead light.. . you could also play around with reflecting the light rather than filtering it.

You can even use a mixture of light sources. . . only make sure you set your white balance before shooting. In any case you are off to an excellent photographic career.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hello Katharina,

Thanks for the advice, the camera I am using is a cheap Kodak Esay Share CX 7330 that I purchased (7) years ago for $150. As to underexposed, I think that it is a combination of my not knowing enough and the limitations of the camera. If you have any suggestions in how I may change my exposure, I am all ears

Robert
katharina
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Katharina,

Thanks for the advice, the camera I am using is a cheap Kodak Esay Share CX 7330 that I purchased (7) years ago for $150. As to underexposed, I think that it is a combination of my not knowing enough and the limitations of the camera. If you have any suggestions in how I may change my exposure, I am all ears

Robert

Well you may not have a top of the line camera but you are not limited to your camera.

What I do see is a good booth you have there, and I am thinking that if you increase the amount of light. . .and I would go for another light on top to balance. Look at where you can see shadows and try to minimize them. Lastly try one more light from the front, either directly or reflected back with silvery foil-on or something bright white. (I think a flash would be too much)

ANDREOU
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 08:23 AM UTC
Can I pass on one bit of advise that my mentor passed on to me when I was a learner photographer, and that is keep it simple. The more lights you place the more conflicting shadows you get. i suggest one main light,diffused through a tissue or translucent material to light up the main subject and perhaps an accent light for the background or top light for highlights, then use reflectors( white cards or boards or suchlike) to fill any shadows that the main light created. Remember also that a colored background can throw back a color cast if too close to your subject.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 10:02 PM UTC
moderator time
 _GOTOTOP