_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
artist oils
driffowl
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 09:05 AM UTC
hi all,i have just started experimenting using artist oil colours for painting figures.i love the variety and depth of colours i can create and find it brilliant for painting detail,the main problem i am having though is the drying time .i would appreciate any advice on, forgive the pun here ,curing the problem.cheers
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 02:44 PM UTC
By their nature, oil paints take a long time to dry. A cheap food dehydrator will definitely accelerate the process. The combination of high airflow and hot, dry air will speed up the drying time of any paint. Try to get one with sufficient storage area for your largest item. This will probably require surgery to the trays. You do not need a machine that gets excessively hot for obvious reasons. An adjustable thermostat is very helpful.

-Doug
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 01:50 AM UTC
All Brits will know what this means, but one of my club guys swears by the airing cupboard overnight, but put it in a dust-proof tin or tupperware
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 02:34 AM UTC
I simply place mine under a pair of lamps with 100watt bulbs.
Then it's a matter of waiting.... and waiting.....
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 04:16 AM UTC
Experiment with "Japan Dryer", an additive for oil paints that does exactly what you are looking for.
You should be able to find it at any art supply store.

Mark
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 06:08 AM UTC
Go to the store where you bought the oils and look for Winsor & Newton Liquin. You mix a little of this in with your oils on your pallette before you apply them. I do this and my oils dry overnight!
Jesse
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 08:08 AM UTC
Winsor & Newton Liquin, is an amazing product, not only does it improve flow, it does help the drying time. A little goes a long way.
A crock pot on it's lowest setting also helps drying time. Just don't put the cover on tight.
There are also some threads and articles on building a drying box.
Check the figure guys over at Historicus Forma
driffowl
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 11:40 PM UTC
hi guys ,thanks for the great advice ,sent an advanced raiding party on the airing cupboard but they were repelled by superior forces a collection of damp towels and clothes amassed
by the good lady and with the usual british weather kicking in now its going to be sometime/never before getting in there again.however i went to the local art shop and asked for the w/newton product they didnt have it but sold me a similar one called DALER-ROWNEY LIGHT DRYING OIL .tried it and it seems to work a treat.so once again thanks for taking time out to reply.
trabanino
Visit this Community
Guatemala
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hello. iŽm alway use oils to paint my figures, and to me the best thing in the drying oils subjet is just wait. You can apply liquin or cobalt dryer to the oils but some times they modify the color. Winsor and Newton have their own liquin series wich are oils with liquin in, so they are supose to dry quicker. One advice make your color mix, put it in a card or in an tick paper sheet and youŽll see how the paper absorb the extra oil, in this way you will reduce the oil in the paint and reduce the drying time but donŽt over dry it or you will end with a ver y tick oil wich would be hard to work with. Be aware of the aditives of the oils, some times they cause the paint start yellowing in the future.

Saludos

_GOTOTOP