_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
HELP Scratch Building in 1/35 What Do I Need?
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,135 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 02:33 PM UTC
I am going to start my next project in a little under a month and I want to make some additions to the project that make my model unique, so what better than to scratchbuild! However, I have never done it, and hobby shops that carry plastic are a decent trip away so I am better ordering it online.

I have never done it before, but for 1/35 scale could someone possibly list some tools. This would help me as well as others. If something like this exists already then point me in the right direction.

From what I think I will need for any general scratch building would be:
T beams
H beams
Thin Rod
Possible a punch die (had one and lost it)

lets go from there

THanks
modelnutz
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 04:39 PM UTC
Not really tool nrelated...just a good materials tip.
Search out the plastic "for sale" signs at your local home depot type store.
They're made from styrene and come in a few different thicknesses.
Don't cost much either !
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hey Ed..... Thats what I do sometimes when I need plastic. I was going to suggest the same thing to Sean ........ Sean, I think the number one tool for scratch building is totally free. It is imagination. There are many things that you can do with materials that are not even hobby shop related. For basics though you need the usual x-acto knives and saws . Get a collection of clamps and also a steel sraight edge for cutting along a straight line. You will need drawing tools such as a compass , caliper and some angles , as you will have to draw out windows and doors on the plastic and then cut them out. Email me on my personal address and we can discuss more about [email protected]
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC

Scratchbuilding is the bomb, man. Anything can be used in SBing (for short) like paperclips and old credit cards. The tools can be awesome or quite minimal.

Basics?

-X-Acto knife with a couple of different blades.
-STEEL ruler or straight edge.
-A 1/35th scale ruler.
-A cutting mat. You'll be doing a bit of cutting and chopping and tabletops will suffer.
-Masking tape.
-Paper and pencil.

Make a build log on what you're building and any questions are usually answered pretty quick. We're a sharing community and I have met very few modelers here that don't share their techniques willingly.

Hope I've helped,
Cuhail
Bowman18
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 317 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
Plastic Card and wire such as staples, paperclips and fuse wire as it is very easy to minipulate. (its what i have used on my British army jackal project)
 _GOTOTOP