Hosted by Matt Leese
Easy Liquid Mask Removal?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 07:58 PM UTC
Hi! I'm using Mr. Masking Sol Neo liquid mask to cover parts of my model not intented to be painted. Since I've placed liquid mask to every nook and cranny, rubbing it away is a bit tedious and sometimes damages the paint. Is there any alternatives to removing them? Say for example dip them in water or something? BTW, I use oils and laquers.

Thanks!
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 02:12 AM UTC
I've had the same problem, so I'm intertested in an answer too.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 02:09 AM UTC
I have used microsol liquid mask for doing paint chipping and other small details which masking tape won't do . Never tried it on large areas though , but when the tape won't lift off . I used regular masking tape and lightly press on the liq/stuff and it comes right off . Since you say you used oils it should lift off the surface , as for damage can't say that it will or won't do any more .

Maybe some one who has work with this stuff in large areas will be of better help , hope that you do find this some what helpful to your question .

Cheers Guy's !
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 03:24 AM UTC
I tend to use liquid mask only for small areas or odd shapes which can't be covered by conventional masking tape.

Mr Masking Sol Neo seems to be quite soft and stretchy and prone to "tearing" when you remove it, leaving ragged residue behind. I usually pick off the leftover bits using very fine tweezers, sometimes loosening it with the tip of a toothpick to get something to grip onto.

I don't know of any liquids/solvents which can be used to "wash" the dried mask off.

Note that the latex based masking fluids like Mr Masking Sol Neo and Humbrol Maskol are not friendly to acrylic paints and may lift underlying paint if applied too heavily.
PunyViking
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 05:26 AM UTC
I never tried liquid mask of any form before, but I know some people who use several types, and they rinse it of with hot water (not to hot or the model might warp?) It could be smart to do a test before trying it on your model!?
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 08:30 PM UTC
hmm, I use thin tweezers to pull it out
 _GOTOTOP