Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
what do you get out of modelling?
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 04:53 AM UTC
hi all!
I don't know if someone has already asked, but I'd like to pose a somewhat philosophical question: what do you get out of modelling?
I mean: beside a pricy toy for grown ups!

To me modelling is like wind: it clears all the "fog" I bring home from work, it empties my ears from the (beautiful, but nevertheless) screams of my children and eases my mood back to relax.
A soft breaze that clears my mind.

What about you?
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC
I prefer to think of it as an artistic expression. I have been modeling and been a dedicated student of military history for as long and it is no surprise that I produce dioramas. The merging of the two throws in the intellectual and creative challenges of depicting scenes from history both accurately and with artistic interest. That is why I look for ways to depict action and drama like fire, smoke, and violent water effects. In this way, even casual research can yield rewarding benefits.

--Karl
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 06:34 AM UTC
a way to cope with mild insommnia
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 07:20 AM UTC
A way to wind down. Family time with the kids. It's something I enjoy, and I can see improvement in my skills. It keeps my hands and mind busy and keeps me out of trouble. I use it to teach my kids spatial concepts, following directions, concentration and discipline.
Grip84
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC
Complete mastery and control over one small aspect of life. However, that is countered by my total inability to meet my own high standards of perfection. Irony.

Seriously though, I agree with Flounder, a.k.a. Karl - the melding of artistic expression and creativity with a keen fascination for a particular subject that lends itself to replication, be it military machines, history, autos, ships, etc. is a very intoxicating formulation. There's nothing like the smell of liquid cement, miliput, and acrylic paint in the morning. Smells like...victory. Having replicated a piece of history, or any subject of interest in scale, you get to display your creation for all to admire. If it does not turn out to your liking, you can shelve it, crush it, sling it, burn it, or chuck it. Control.

Not that I've ever done any of that...

Scott
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC
A chance to push myself beyond my own abilities. Just how far can I take it and create a story with artistic licence and still be pleasnt to the veiwer. Though I will admit, some times it creates alot of frustration, it forces me to think outside the norm of 1/1 thinking.
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 07:57 AM UTC
Hi all,
The things that I like and what I get out of modelbuilding are:
1. It brings out my creative side, I used to be terrible at expressing that part of me. The reason is that before I took up the hobby I had no talent for much of anything. With practice and opening up to possibilities, I have become pretty good.
2. It has helped me in other areas too, I have become a good researcher on my subjects.
3. I have learned how to become a better writer due to the fact that modelling opens your mind to what can be, instead of what is. Never used to be able to put two sentences together.

I have fun, I am now creative and have a mind open to possibilities. Plus, I have created my own scenarios that are on a "what-if" scale. Reality has been done to overkill.

Chris- stepping down from my high horse
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 11:27 AM UTC
The fans, mass adulation and the groupies!!!
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 09:15 PM UTC
to me it gives me time to relax forget the crap at work and life unwind concentrate on the kit in hand and chill
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 04:13 AM UTC
A hobby, for the most part some relaxation, sense of accomplishment and source of satisfaction in my finished work, I also enjoy the fellowship of fellow modelers like on these sites,and friends who pursue the hobby.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 06:58 AM UTC
It has always been a way for me to relax and pass the time constructively. I also just enjoy watching a bunch of pieces of plastic turn into the finished item.

HARV
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The fans, mass adulation and the groupies!!!

The Beer, social gatherings at shows and just satisfaction when you actually finish something . The feeling you get knowing all the effort you have put in pays off.

Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC
It keeps me off the street and out of too much trouble.

It clears my head and gives me a chance to relax, listen to my music (not my daughter's) and drink a beer.

Cheers,
Tony
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 12:01 PM UTC
Hi all,

I was going to go into a rambling diatribe of what I get out of modelling, but you guys have said it all already.
So here goes . . . . "ditto to all of the above"

Enough said
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 537 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 12:08 PM UTC
All of the above, and a little brain damage to boot!

SCOTT
markvs
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 01:39 PM UTC
For me, it is a study in the actual engineering of the subject (mainly armour/guns) that interests me, I end up learning how the real thing was built, and the engineering decisions made in the process.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 04:54 PM UTC
It gives me a chance to unwind and be a little creative. Really don't care if anyone thinks my stuff is wonderful or if I get awarded modeler of the year somewhere. I do it for fun and not for the need of admiration. I stay out of trouble regardless of this stay at home hobby. Been doing this stuff on and off for a long time now . Am not into sports and don't watch a lot of TV, so when I am not buisy with things around the house or my sweetie......well, you guessed it........models. Al
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

to me it gives me time to relax forget the crap at work and life unwind concentrate on the kit in hand and chill

This one sums up what I get out of it best!
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hi guys!
I have to agree with all of you, but the one thing I did not figure out when I returned to the hobby was what Anthony (Tojo72) have said: being part of this community is a big part of the fun, I don't have grupies as a benchmark though !
Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 84 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All of the above, and a little brain damage to boot!

SCOTT

What Scott said!
flipper21
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 05:47 AM UTC
Sanity
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 06:59 AM UTC
What do I get out of modelling?
An empty wallet....fits of rage...paint fume induced stupor!

Seriously..I find modelling the most relaxing thing in the world to do. I don't have patience in many other areas of my life but I can sit for hours tediously working on the smallest parts and searching the carpet for tiny little pieces I probably couldn't find with a microscope.
It just sends me to an alternate reality...especially when I have my favorite "music du jour" in the background. I just forget all about the problems and troubles of the real world. I can go hours without a break....SWMBO probably wishes I was that way in other areas...nod nod wink wink..know what I mean..say no more, say no more.

It frees me from this world..if only for a few hours a week....and although it's an expensive hobby I don't really think the theraputic benefits can really be measured in dollars and cents...or pound sterling, euros, yen, pesos or whatever currency you use.

Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC

Oh I just do it to get high on glue!

Just kidding. I need the creative output. If I kept all my creativity in, I'd explode. I mean, there's the interest in the vehicles and the genres, but, it's the release.

Cuhail