_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Beginners Use of Pigments
Careos
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 03:34 PM UTC
Beginners Use of Pigments
By: J.R. “Careos” Sharp
http://sharper-designs.com

Pigment powders are unlike any other substance in the modeling world. They are very versatile, relatively simple to use, yet in the right hands can create effects that are extremely convincing. In the following few steps, we will go through the most simple process of creating subtle weathering on your vehicles.

Although these steps are easily applied to any form of model, be it an aircraft, AFV, gaming miniature, etc, the flat surfaces of the armor are the easiest to address the effects for a newer modeler.

First of all, paint your model and seal the undercoat with the products of your choice.

Here you see we have a Space Marine Rhino from Games Workshop. I have not taken the time to put all of my detail on as this is just a demonstration of the powder's effects.

Sprinkle your powers onto the model in the areas that you want to convey the effects. For this demonstration, I have used Sharper Design Studio's “Aged Rust” color. This is a very dark brown colored pigment that duplicates the effects of an older rust that has seen some additional time in the elements.

Carefully take a brush full of white mineral spirits and dab the areas around the powders. Do not touch the powder directly! Capillary action will draw the spirit into the seams and powders to fix them to the model. The point here is to give a flow medium to the pigments so that they can be manipulated on the model.

Once everything is wet, you can take several options:

• Let the spirit dry, leaving the wet pigment on the model and then begin to manipulate it.
  • Work the still damp pigment to essentially stain the entire area the spirit covers.
  • Let it all dry to leave a clumpy, textured surface where the powder was applied.

For this demonstration, I decided to work the pigments while they everything was still wet. Working in downward motions, I made sure that I had a good coverage over the parts that I wished to weather.

Once everything is dry, you also have the option to take a paper towel wrapped over your finger to rub out the raised areas you do not want rusted.

As you can see, the process to begin your adventure with pigments is not one that is fraught with difficulty or challenges. Using many simple methods, you can create awesome effects on your models in a short amount of time. Use from these very foundations will produce models that will wow your opponents and friends for years to come.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 08:10 PM UTC
thanks! this will come in handy
 _GOTOTOP