Local, Regional, or International.
AMPSEast - feedback needed!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC
If you attended AMPSEast this past Saturday, I would like to hear your observations and comments, positive and negative. We want to put on the perfect show for you guys and we need input!
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 09:41 AM UTC
Matt and I spoke about this one on the phone on Tuesday. I thought that the award ceremony went much better in the lobby. Anyone else have any thoughts on that? I also liked the make and take for the lil ones. I think it was a great addition to our show. I'll check in this topic later on as well as Matt and others. I would also like to thank all of you who helped in any way
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC
As always I had a great time.
It would have been better had the hotel taken steps to get the TV fixed. I know I was not the only guest that had a crappy TV, yet the hotel just didn't seem to give a damn.
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 11:03 AM UTC
Matt,
I drove from Indiana to attend the show.Couldn't have been happier.Great folks made me feel very welcome,the vendors were terriffic(bought too much/or not enough....),the models were great,and I'm charged up for the Nats in Auburn.
Thanks for a great show & a good time.
John Stanwood
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 05:22 PM UTC
How long was the drive from Indiana John?
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 05:27 AM UTC
From Ft. Wayne In. to the G.W. bridge it takes about 12 hours depending on Ohios troopers. John, you around the fort by chance?
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 05:11 AM UTC
hi Dave,
About 12-13 hrs. I do it in two days (health issues). Sorry I didn't get to talk to you.Still had a great time.
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 05:15 AM UTC
hi Bob,
Yes, I live on the edge of FW, west side,near 30. When get home I'll shoot an email(12-13Oct)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 06:27 AM UTC
Thanks for the time the trip takes guys.
Like you John, if I make it to Auburn next year it will have to be broken down over a two day drive for me also due to health problems also.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi Matt, I enjoyed the show immensely, as usual. There were a lot of beautiful models and the vendor area was full. One thing that I thought was a problem, were the narrow aisles between some of the display tables. This made it hard to pass other people and to view some of the models, in particular the dioramas. It also made it dangerous to the displays as some of the table cloths were pulled when people tried to squeeze past each other. Bringing a few models to the brink of disaster. The other thing, which I mentioned to Doc while we were doing the judging, was with the figure category.The figures were all entered in the same category (#19 if I remember correctly), but broken down into beginner, intermediate, and advanced. They became intermingled, beginner with advanced for example, which made it a little confusing for the judges. Beginners were grouped with, and compared to, Advanced Modelers. I think you should consider having three different categories, one for each level of modeling skill. This would be less confusing to the entrants and the judges.You might also consider judging the figures in the same manner as other subjects, at the judges tables rather than on the display tables. This would be easier on the judges, and also relieve some of the crowding in the display area. My thanks to you, and all of the others involved, for a great show and a really good time. I am already looking forward to next year. Al
VTTreadhead
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC
Matt,

This was my first AMPS show. Had a great time and learned alot. Jumped in and did judgung on both days. Vendor room was great. Spent most of my budget on Friday. Would recomend that in the model room that you put PVC pipe extentions on the table leg to raise the hieght of the tables. Seen this at other shows and it really helps out viewing the models better. One other thing, Awards presentation needs to be somewhere else then in the vendor room. Had vendors packing up and leaving while awards being handed out. Very crowded. Again this was a great show and I will be back next year. Thanks for everything.

Chris
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 05:26 AM UTC

I think you guys put on a great show, always a good turnout of display models and vendors. I almost wish CMD wasn't there because I had to buy the Miniarm T-90A conversions, lol.

The display room has pretty good lighting and the hotel in general is very good. Easy to get to, lots of parking and a good breakfast buffet to boot.
Rocketeer
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 10:19 AM UTC
As one of the six figure judges I want to state that each model was judged according the level of skill on the entry form. The first thing we did was announce the level, subject matter and notes from the entry form before the figure was judged. We were very careful to consider the level of the builder before evaluating the figure. The standards for advanced were far higher than the intermediate and beginner.
Many of the figures were terriffic and it was great to judge them
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 10:54 AM UTC
Matt,

to answer your question, all in all it was an absolutely great time. I spent time with old friends, met a few new ones and even won some medals. I also greatly appreciated all of the judges hard work and most of all, their comments on my scoring sheets, which will only help me to become a better modeler. You all worked hard to put on a great show and even though I only got to speak to you and some of the others briefly, anyone I spoke to always took the time to help with a question/concern or even just throw a little friendly banter around. I thought it was a complete success and even better than previous years.

Quoted Text

I thought that the award ceremony went much better in the lobby. Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

While I agree that there is/was possibly more room at the top of the stairs, the problem is that the vendors, trying to pack up and get home to their families are forced to negotiate through the crowd of people who are trying to get their awards, making it difficult for both parties. I'm not a vendor, but I help one out and it wasn't too bad to negotiate our way to the elevators with little problems ('till the little ninja's and the two buses of the knitting crew crowded the Lobby downstairs)

What I wondered, is why don't a few of us take ten or fifteen minutes to break down the tables in the display room after we all take our models out, stack them against the wall and hold the awards in there? Surely that would have been better than having everyone crowded in the back of the vendors area while the vendors were trying to pack up, at the same time leaving the path to the elevators clear for the vendors?

I was one of the last people to remove my models from the tables and there was plenty of time for us to break all those tables down and I would have gladly lent a hand.

Just a thought for next year?

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC
Nothing really to add,it really was a great show,and the vendors were great,and the seminars were well done.I would just say the more vendors the better !!
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 01:33 PM UTC
Nothing negative comes to mind, other than making the seminars that involve painting, a bit longer, say 1/2 hour longer.
I had a great time at the show, got to meet new people and made some new friends, and also got to shoot the bull with the ones I already know. Although we only spoke briefly it was nice to finally meet you (Matt).
I also got to talk to Neil and others from your club, man what a great bunch of guys.
Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into the show. I look forward to next year, and will try to spend some time judging, and maybe a seminar again.

Cheers
Rob
www.scratchmod.com
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 872 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 01:09 PM UTC
Matt

I already emailed you but for the benifit of the others here,
Slightly bigger seminar room.....a bit tight and hot
Keep this years setup with the judges....don't ever go back to the previous setup
Have some hotel support for lunch

Just a couple of random thoughts

The show was great....the most relaxing and enjoyable show ever....priceless

Rounds Complete!!
 _GOTOTOP