TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
BAA BAA LACK SHEEP
arsenalman
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 03:00 PM UTC
Any fans of the TV series BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP / BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON?

Anyone tried modeling Greg Boyington's TV version Corsair (as opposed to the actual aircraft he flew?)
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 04:10 PM UTC
Oh yes: I was in the Marine Corps when it came out on TV. I think Revell had a Corsair with his TV makings. I remember walking guard duty in Iwakuni Japan while VMA214 was stationed there, it seamed like there was at least one Corsair being built in each office.
arsenalman
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 10:33 PM UTC
GREAT SHOW -GREAT MEMORIES FOR ME ....

I AM BUILDING THE 1/72 & 1/48 TAMIYA KITS INTHE ALL GLOSS BLUE TV VERSION OF HIS CORSAIR & DOING A SUPER DETAILED 1/32 TRUMPTER (WITH LOADS OF AFTERMARKET PARTS) IN THE "REAL" 3 TONE FINISH

Actually I've built them previously over they years but whenI shifted a while ago - I gave em to my neighbours as keepsakes - and its an excuse for me (to give to the wife) to build them again
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 07:15 AM UTC
I really liked that show and looked forward to it each week.

HARV
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
I have one of the old Revell "Black Sheep" Kits out in the stash in the Garage...photo of the opening flight of the show on the box, etc. Boyington's Medal of Honor is in the Marines Memorial Club on Post Street in San Francisco in the Flying Leatherneck Bar and Grill, along with some photos of the squadron, his uniform insignia and medals, a beautiful drawing and other memorabilia. I'd like to hear more about his time hiand escapades in the Flying Tigers.

Matt
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 01:51 AM UTC
I used to watch the show religiously. I would love to get hold of some episodes now as all I have are dim memories of late nights as a young teenager.

I have a little info on the AVG history. Boyington flew with the AVG for less that a year in 1942 and flew over Rangoon, Mandalay and Kunming. He shot down 6 Japanese aircraft, mostly I-97's, in the first few weeks of 1942.

I will hunt down some more info as I'm sure it's in the stash somewhere.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 03:09 AM UTC
Boyington's autobiography is a very recommended read and includes his story of the AVG and the time in Japanese captivity. I think it's called "Baa Baa Black Sheep", same as the show. The show was great, remember watching it as a kid with my family. The DVD-release is ridiculously priced here, so that's a no-go for me...

Cheerio!
Stef
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 08:24 PM UTC
I remember waiting each week when I would get off work and race home as fast as I could so the new wife ( we were just married when the show began) could not interupt me as I would sink into the comfortable chair with a soda and a large bag of peanut M&Ms in a bowl on the tv stand beside me and watch the airial photography. I could have cared less for the acting since there was none. Loved those F4U's, I wonder where they are now.

Robert
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 05:42 AM UTC
Best part of that show was when they added Pappy's Lambs.