_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Snap-Fit Kits
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:21 PM UTC
Hi guys,

with all the talks about snap-fit kits, I like to try my hand on some as a break of regular modeling, I had gone to the local hobby shop, none of them carry it, one guy even asked me to try to look for them in toy section in the department stores here. I really like to get my hand on one. Any good place to get them? Thanks a lot.

WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:24 PM UTC
Dave, please educate me here---I've heard the term, but what exactly is a snap kit? I'm assuming no glue necessary? You mention toy stores,--- are they models for beginners to practice on, or a whole category of modeling? Armor, air, auto??? Thanks.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:27 PM UTC
Some of Revell's 1/144 SAC bombers are snap-fit although I'm not exactly sure which of the three is (B52, B1, B2).

Get Academy's 1/30 Terran Marine figure. This is snap-fit too and this dude has some cool armor on him.

Good luck on the search!
Shahrid
Visit this Community
Damansara, Malaysia
entire network: 116 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:28 PM UTC
Well Dave, Revell has produce many snap - fit kits . Here most of them can be found at toys section of most department stores.
None at hobby shop.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:33 PM UTC
Lord WWH,

I have no idea myself, I never seen one in person, you know how weird I am, my second tank model already had PE, so I feel I am missing a link in this whole modeling thing. I suppose they snap together without using of glue, some come pre-painted. Sel's daughter had one done of a landrover which is quite nice. And if I remember correctly Sabot also has an article in the features that he did a snap kit, but painted it as well, which looked real neat. That's why the sudden urge of do one.

I let you know if I can find out more information.

Da truth is Outta There
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:34 PM UTC
Get some of those Bandai Gundams too Dave. They should be right up your alley with lots of parts and details
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:12 PM UTC
eeej whats wrong with a car?

*maybe dave's getting old*
his vision is going back?

he got allergic for glue?

let the man build a snap kit
when he notices hes done with it in 10 minutes hes comming back 2 us (++) (++)

dave if you wanna make a snap car try finding one from bburago
and for planes revell has some snappy kits

I have to admit I made one once its pretty boring
you get finished in like 10 minutes
but heeey everyone has 2 build what they like right?

right.....

TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 08:03 PM UTC
Okay, I'll say it. I build snap fit kits. I have a Diablo in the build queue right now. What's wrong with that? The chassis to my monster truck tank was a snap kit. Todays snap-fit are approaching the quality of some of the glue kits I build. Also sometimes I just want to practice a particular painting technique or color combination. Snap fits are cheaper and faster to build allowing me to concentrate more on my finishing techniques than filling and sanding and filling and sanding some more. Some subjects I want to build are not available in a glue kit. I've also seen Snap-Fit kits place in competitions. If you think they are beneath you, that's fine, but I'm a modeller and that includes any type of model, not just glue kits.
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:12 PM UTC
noone ever said it was bad to build snapkits...

its just that they are ment for beginners

but with the painting you are right and frankly I dont really care what people build aslong as they is happy with the results and what they are doing
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:09 PM UTC
Snap fit kits are good. I've started my modeling hobby with them. I've build quite a large number (and I mean LARGE ) Gundam kits in the past.

Ok, what are snap fit kits? Contrary to what others say, it is not really for beginners. Many people like them too. They're easy to fit together. Of course, a wrong fit can still be made right by sanding. Most of them come prepainted so if you're bad at painting, you could just assemble it.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, I'll say it. I build snap fit kits. I have a Diablo in the build queue right now. What's wrong with that? The chassis to my monster truck tank was a snap kit. Todays snap-fit are approaching the quality of some of the glue kits I build. Also sometimes I just want to practice a particular painting technique or color combination. Snap fits are cheaper and faster to build allowing me to concentrate more on my finishing techniques than filling and sanding and filling and sanding some more. Some subjects I want to build are not available in a glue kit. I've also seen Snap-Fit kits place in competitions. If you think they are beneath you, that's fine, but I'm a modeller and that includes any type of model, not just glue kits.

I strongly agree. Althought I don't agree much on "Snap fits are cheaper " . I find them more expensive. Hell, I've built my Gundam kit (snap fit) for $20 USD while my Sea Harrier (needs glueing) was around $10 USD. Snap fits are better in terms of fit and construction for a cost.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you know how weird I am

yes we already know this Dave so you do not have to tell us again.

I too feel you are going backwards here Dave. If you want to do something different and interesting go buy some evergreen and do some scratch building.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Or try the Tamiya GMC truck. That's one heck of a fun build.
 _GOTOTOP