_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Sherman M4A4/ Info needed Please
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi, I recently picked up Cyber Hobby Kit 9102/Sherman M4A4, 75mm.
I am hpeing that some of the Sherman Experts here can advise me as to weather or not the U.S. Armored forces in Europe 1944-45, actually had this vehicle in its inventory.. My research shows that it was used in Burma by the Chineese and in Europe by British and Canadian forces. Didnt Patton have any M4A4's in his units ? Thanks in advance for any info .
milvehfan
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC
Afaik no US units used the M4A4 in Europe, I do have a vague memory though of reading that USA borrowed DD M4A4s during the Rhine crossing, I think there was a photo of one in a Steve Zaloga article in Military Modelling. It could just be my mempry playing tricks though.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
Pat, Thanks for the reply . I guess I'll just build it with the unit decals provided in the kit unless I can find some info on what British units used this vehicle and the units markings. This will be my first attempt at a Sherman since I was a kid....Keep On Modelin, milvehfan
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 09:18 PM UTC
M4A4s fighting in US service are rare but they exist.

For the Normandy landings, al least some US engineering battalions equipped with M4A4 dozers. Here's one now:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1092227736/Colour+pics+from+Slapton+Sands

During the Battle of the Bulge, some Shermans were transferred from British stocks to US units including about 80 M4A4s. Despite spare part problems some apparently did make it into combat. They show up well into 1945. There was a good thread on this subject when the orange box kit came out but I cannot find it now. Occasionally someone on an armor board spots a picture of one and sites a reference.

Some M4A4s also show up in US engineering units operating in Italy to support the landings.

US crews fought on some of the M4A4s in China.

Good luck with your project!

-Doug
milvehfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 06:08 AM UTC
Thanks you for the info, its a starting point. Many Thanks all, milvehfan
 _GOTOTOP