_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Airbrush and a good compressor needed (cheap)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi guys! Remember my post about my old airbrush? De-latang hangin kasi kaya naubos na. Kakailanganin ko na ng bagong AB and a good compressor. Can anyone direct me of a good AB (double action) and Compressor (about 15-50 psi) and please a cheap one too
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 01:58 AM UTC
CHEAP? Hell, that's a relative term. Most ABs there are over P1,500. ACs around P2,500+. DA-ABs will cost you P3000+ and up. Most of what I've seen in the market are Gunze Procyon ABs. Around P2,500+ up. STC has 'em. As for ACs, invest in a good ol' industrial strength AC available at your hardware shops, with pressure regulator and gauge to boot, all for P7,000+. But wait, that's not all! If you're REALLY REALLY serious in ABing, you need to invest in a water trap - and a REAL water trap made for ABs and not spray guns. Small ones would put you back for (ka ching!) P1,500+. You can, of course, get cheaper ACs, like the car AC (as I have said time and time again, crismag has done this successfully) - that'll be around P500 or even less. Linear compressors for ABs (the ones really for the hobby), are sold at STC for around P3000 or P5000 - not quite exactly sure. The Kawasaki I got put me back by P3000+ while Jeep got his for just P2000 or less.

Sooooo..... that'll be roughly P5000 all in all - or up to P10,000+ up if you're really serious. Cheap it ain't.

BTW, what is your old AB and what happened? Brand, model, other info please.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

CHEAP? Hell, that's a relative term. Most ABs there are over P1,500. ACs around P2,500+. DA-ABs will cost you P3000+ and up. Most of what I've seen in the market are Gunze Procyon ABs. Around P2,500+ up. STC has 'em. As for ACs, invest in a good ol' industrial strength AC available at your hardware shops, with pressure regulator and gauge to boot, all for P7,000+. But wait, that's not all! If you're REALLY REALLY serious in ABing, you need to invest in a water trap - and a REAL water trap made for ABs and not spray guns. Small ones would put you back for (ka ching!) P1,500+. You can, of course, get cheaper ACs, like the car AC (as I have said time and time again, crismag has done this successfully) - that'll be around P500 or even less. Linear compressors for ABs (the ones really for the hobby), are sold at STC for around P3000 or P5000 - not quite exactly sure. The Kawasaki I got put me back by P3000+ while Jeep got his for just P2000 or less.

Sooooo..... that'll be roughly P5000 all in all - or up to P10,000+ up if you're really serious. Cheap it ain't.

BTW, what is your old AB and what happened? Brand, model, other info please.

The car version of the compressor is about 300 psi. That's too much power for a small model.

Ok, my old AB was a single action and unbranded. Mura kasi kaya kinagat ko na. Complete set - AB and de latang hangin. I thought it will last quite longer pero sayang pala . I should have bought a better one. If you need more info about my AB, find it here at Filipino forums entitiled "Murang Airbrush". I stated the info there. Ngayon habol ko yung de-kuryente at may regulator ng hanging e.i. 30 psi - 20psi. Sa AB habol ko yung double action althought I don't know what it exactly do.
warthog
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
Shonnen: BI is right, there is no cheap word anymore if you are looking for an DA-AB and a compressor to boot. As for air-source, one suggestion I could give would be to use a CO2 , the last time I asked was P2000 or less for a 5lb tank -- it is quiet, dry and you do not need a water trap, but the catch is the regulator - its costly...iba daw kasi kapag CO2 -- kapareho na ginagamit sa vendo machine ng soft drinks. The re-fill for the CO2 is around P40 or something below P100. Medyo matagal maubos iyon.

If you noticed some gas stations now, they have portable tanks (hinihila nila ito na kulay blue -- try caltex) for tires -- i think the manufacturer is Nisalco(?).

As for AB GI is right.

I got myself a badger whirlwind-II model 80-2 compressor (don't ask about the price coz up to now I do not want to remember) from the states -- napabili ko dahil somebody went there. Advice -- do not believe the price that they say in the internet coz it is tax exclusive (tax doon aabot ng 10%) -- add the 10% and then the crying starts.

Additional info about airsource (meroon ako PDF kaya lang hindi ko ma-attach dito sa post).
Try this link
http://www.finescale.com/fsm/article.aspx?aId=303
or
http://www.finescale.com/fsm/dynamic/browse.aspx?sub=43
and look for "8 ways to power your airbrush" by Paul Boyer.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC
Warthog: did you get my SMS earlier this evening?

SR: DA-AB means one trigger for both air and paint control. Unlike SA-AB which has 2 controls - one for air, the other for paint, DA-AB has only one. This make life simpler. I haven't used a SA-AB, so I can't compare how difficult using an SA-AB is with a DA-AB. If your hands and fingers are steady, you can make straight lines with a DA-AB. If they're erratic, I reckon SA-AB would be a bit better. Not sure really since, as I've mentioned, I haven't used an SA-AB.

Avoid, if possible, ACs sold at hobby shops or those specifically designed for AB. Buy instead, if possible, the cheapest, "ordinary" AC. You can find some that are not too big and have a pressure tank to boot. But it'll cost you around P4000 and up. The reason why you should preferably get this type of AC is that it'll be much more useful - both for the hobby and in everyday life. Me, I'd rather have an AC with a high psi rating, then stick in a pressure regulator and gauge, so I can play the pressure, rather than have an AC specifically designed for ABs which gives me a measly 30psi. There are times you would wish to have something that'll give you around 50psi or more (like recycling paint thinner using the AB). Furthermore, if the thing (AC) breaks, it can be repaired by most tom-dick-and-harry mechanic, while a specialized AC, when it breaks, might have a hard time finding a mechanic to fix it (alright alright, motors are a variety of each other, and any skilled mechanic can fix it, but still...)
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC
Shonnen: Why do you need 30 -50 PSI, its to strong - di kaya masira ang paint job mo? With that pressure the AB needs to be far from the object. If you are too far what happens is that your paint might have the orange peel look coz the paint is already drying before it reaches the object. Another thing is that you might not be able to paint almot pencil thin lines with that pressure. Actually for model airbrushing the advisable PSI range is from 15 - 25 PSI (some go as low as 10PSI for very fine detail). I use only 15 to 18 PSI and very seldom 20PSI.

Try using the 2nd link I posted and look for "ABC's of Airbrushing".

Hope this helps
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:59 AM UTC
BI: Nope, did not get ur SMS...I usually turn off my cell when I get home....now I opened it again, but there is no SMS. If ur awake I'll send you a test sms baka mali number...
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:43 PM UTC
Got my AC for 2700 from Raon. This is the exact same AC that GI has in his lair. Most sports shops and National Bookstore branches use almost the same AC to inflate balloons, balls, etc. I think it can go as high as 25 psi but I wouldn't know since I don't have a regulator. I have a 500-peso water trap but it's not that useful since I still get water in the hose after half an hour of painting. Buti na lang transparent ang hose ko so malaman ko agad kung may water blob na palabas na.

My AB is a double-action AB (DA-AB) that can be configured for singe-action (SA-AB) use. I set it to SA when I'm painting base coats. I shift to DA when I'm painting camo and details. When the AB is set to SA, pressing the trigger will let both air and paint out. When it's set to DA, pressing the trigger will let ONLY air out and you have to pull the trigger back to suck the paint.

I saw some good Tamiya ABs in Lil's for around 1500. These look nice and I heard that they work fine too. All in all, a good AB and AC set will set you back at least 5000 pesos. The AB and airtank combo is cheaper and quieter and it works just as well as long as you have a way of lugging the tank to the refilling station (i.e. a car). Or you can get inspiration from bossing crismag who uses, if I'm not mistaken, a less-than-1000-peso AB and a car compressor but still gets jaw-dropping results.

Good luck!
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC
Pare, I read the can I had and it says 50 psi. Maybe that's how much air you need. Have you also tried looking into cans for BB guns? The CO2 ones? Just a suggestion.

I could sell you my air can, that's 15 oz (425 ml) for 400 bucks! Tulong mo na rin sakin, kelangan ko bumili ng supplies Ibibigay ko na rin sayo yung isa ko pang can, that's around 200 ml. O yan, 625ml for 400 pesos... okay na yan!

As for me... hmmm, puro cans na lang muna for now Cars muna ang concentratean ko (since wala naman akong armor kit and my Harrier still lacks decals).
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:51 PM UTC
The water trap Jeep and I use is an industrial type, not one designed for ABs, hence the large attachment threading. Installation of a water trap - whether it be the same one Jeep and I gots, or a specific-model-AB design type - should be installed as close to the AB as possible for it to work effectively. Theoretically, an industrial type water trap can be installed directly to the AB by using or rigging up an adapter.
As for high psi, it has its uses. One is recycling thinner which I learned at IPMS-Stockholm site. You rig a fuel can with two hose attachments, put filter in it (paper, cloth, etc.), pour used thinner in can, attach one hose to AB, use higher-than-normal psi so as to make the AB suck in the thinner, AB shoots used thinner inside funnel attached to other hose which leads back inside the can, thinner just goes round-and-round. The filter absorbs the paint particles and you can reuse the thinner, thus saving on costs. Furthermore, smell is reduced also. I've tried this before and it worked, but noticed that I need a higher psi rating than what my Kawasaki gives me in order to make full use of the recycler. The higher the psi rating, the greater the AB cab suck in paint or thinner or whatever whose source is far from the AB. Since the fuel can is waaaaay larger and deeper than an ordinary paint jar, the AB - operating at "normal" psi rating of 20-35psi - would have a hard time sucking up the thinner.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pare, I read the can I had and it says 50 psi. Maybe that's how much air you need. Have you also tried looking into cans for BB guns? The CO2 ones? Just a suggestion.

I could sell you my air can, that's 15 oz (425 ml) for 400 bucks! Tulong mo na rin sakin, kelangan ko bumili ng supplies Ibibigay ko na rin sayo yung isa ko pang can, that's around 200 ml. O yan, 625ml for 400 pesos... okay na yan!

As for me... hmmm, puro cans na lang muna for now Cars muna ang concentratean ko (since wala naman akong armor kit and my Harrier still lacks decals).

The problem with CO2 cans, it's bad for your health. Yung akin CO2 kaya ang sakit sa ilong kapag nagpapaint ka. One more thing, air in cans cools and when they cool, they loose pressure. Mag-aantay tuloy ako ng matagal bago sya bumalik sa normal temp.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Shonnen: Why do you need 30 -50 PSI, its to strong - di kaya masira ang paint job mo? With that pressure the AB needs to be far from the object. If you are too far what happens is that your paint might have the orange peel look coz the paint is already drying before it reaches the object. Another thing is that you might not be able to paint almot pencil thin lines with that pressure. Actually for model airbrushing the advisable PSI range is from 15 - 25 PSI (some go as low as 10PSI for very fine detail). I use only 15 to 18 PSI and very seldom 20PSI.

Try using the 2nd link I posted and look for "ABC's of Airbrushing".

Hope this helps

Haven't got any problems with the current psi. Nothing bad related to the paint job using AB happened to me.
rysorne
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys! Remember my post about my old airbrush? De-latang hangin kasi kaya naubos na. Kakailanganin ko na ng bagong AB and a good compressor. Can anyone direct me of a good AB (double action) and Compressor (about 15-50 psi) and please a cheap one too

Much better to buy a Badger 100 double action, side feed, w/extra cups,needles, head & hose. I recommended this to my friends and they like it aside from that some parts are replaceable & available in National Bookstore.Badger is a high quality airbrush and its made of stainless steel and its for a lifetime use. I have one too for almost 12 years and it still good. I don't have any problem using it but for the price I think it's around 5,000 pesos w/out compressor. But it's worthed to have it.
 _GOTOTOP