Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Missed opportunities
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 12:28 PM UTC
I've seen a lot of best and worst lists as I've browsed around on the web. I'm wondering what were the biggest opportunities that were passed over? What prototypes or modifications should have been followed through on?

I've seen the M27 dismissed as simply a faster M4, but it was more than that. Faster, yes, but it also had better traction, mobility, efficiency, armament and a lower profile. It had slightly improved armor as well. 60% parts commonality with the M4A3 as well.

The P-38K variant of the Lightning. Adding a larger propeller and minor modifications to the nose cone and cowling gave a 30 mph speed increase and a 15% increase in range. Lockheed begged and pleaded to make the modifications. They would have had to stop production for two weeks (their estimate) to make the changes. They were told no.

There must be lots of other choices and reasons.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 09:26 PM UTC
the british command turning their nose up at the jet engine
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 02:27 AM UTC
How about the U.S. and it's ressistance to explore the probability of the aircraft carrier at first. Heck, even tanks got the brush off at first. Seems people get comfortable with an idea and that's it, oops, we just got our butt kicked, what do we do now.What was that saying about hindsight?
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hitler's insistence on developing the Me-262 as a bomber rather than an interceptor?

Hitler/Luftwaffe ignoring the need for a long range heavy bomber until it was too late?

C.