_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Hobby Stores in LA?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
I'm in Los Angeles for a few days on business... anyone recommend any local hobby shops that have a nice selection of 1:35 scale stuff? Diorama, figures, resin, after-market, etc?

Thanks!
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
HI Magee,

It's such a big place, but here are a few places that I try and get around to. I'll try and use freeways as closest intersections. All of these should be within a few miles of the freeway intersections I'm using.

In West LA:
Lincoln Hobby Ctr
(310) 559-7730 11018 Washington Blvd
Culver City, CA

Southeast of the 405 and the 10 freeway.
A guy named Mike runs the place. Real nice guy. Lots of old kits for sale and good solid book selection for research. It is in the Red Star Military museum store, so you get firearms and models all in one place. Great collection of military collectibles.

Down near Long Beach:
Military Shop Hobbies & Books
(562) 493-1612 2009 Palo Verde Ave
Long Beach, CA

Just off the 405 freeway and South of the 710, North of the 605.
Small shop dedicated to military modelling. Beware, they are only open Friday to Monday. Closed on Tues-Thurs.

In Burbank:
Burbank House Of Hobbies
(818) 848-3674 911 S Victory Blvd
Burbank, CA

North West of the 5 freeway and the 134.
Nice small hobby shop. More cars than military, but excellent supply of finishing supplies.

Then there is the usual Hobby People chain of stores, but these have more RC than plastic kits and an almost non-existent supply of finishing and detailing supplies. Hobby People will have nothing that you wouldn't see in any other chain store around the country.

Hope this helps. Post again if you need any more specific info.

Cheers,
Jason
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 03:55 PM UTC
If you're going to be in Orange County at all try Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove. North of the 22 Freeway on Brookhurst Blvd. It's been there for about 30 years, I hung out there a LOT when I was first into modeling in the early 70s.

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 06:33 PM UTC
Fellas -thanks a lot! I'm actually staying at the Westin Bonaventure on Figureroa, near the Staples Center in Downton... anything you might suggest nearby?
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:16 AM UTC
HI Magee,

Hmm... downtown is tough, but the Lincoln Hobby Center/Red Star Military is probably about a 20 minute drive (depending on traffic) and pretty easy from where you will be. Do you have a car? I can give you some directions to it.

Problem with LA is everything is really spread out, so you have to drive to get to anything. The concept of local store means within 20 minutes driving distance...

Around your hotel, there isn't anything that I can think of. There is the jewelry district and the clothing district nearby if you're married and want to score some points that way I'll try and do a bit more searching and see if anything comes up in your area.
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi Magee,

Found another store, but it's still about 20 minutes away (North of you this time). Just off the 5 freeway in Glendale.

Mission Models
(323) 666-4228
3038 Glendale Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA

Open M-Sat 10-6

Website is missionmodels.com

I've never been there, but from the looks of their website, this is a place I'll have to checkout this weekend. Check out their website, it looks like this is a nice place. They appear to carry an extensive line of after market accesories and carry a lot of brands that I haven't seen in most other stores in the area. AFV Club, Pit Road, Accurate Armor, etc...

BTW. There are some great restaurants right by your hotel. Ciudad (a cuban/caribbean place), Nick and Stef's (Great Steaks)-both on the more expensive side.

And down near Chinatown, a place called Phillipe's which has been serving french dipped sandwiches since the dawn of time. Coffee is still 10 cents there. People go there after the USC football games.

And of course, Chinatown for Chinese food and Olvera St. for Mexican food. Sorry, if I'm not thinking about hobbies, I'm thinking about food.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 12:58 PM UTC
Magee,
I just want to second the Mission Models suggestion. I don't live in L.A. but I have dealt with Jon Tamkin, the owner, many times over the phone, and he is one of the good guys in this business. If his instore selection is anything like what he offers on his web-site it would be worth the drive. Enjoy your trip either way!

Mike
 _GOTOTOP