_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Backdrop option
hkopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 02:31 PM UTC
What is a good material to use for a colored backdrop. In the past, I used a white or black bedding sheet but with mix results namely due to the creases that showed up.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 02:41 PM UTC
Try using a larger piece of white, black, or neutral color back drop to create an "infinity space". This means, a material which you can lay down then curve up the back so you have a curved transition instead of a crease or corner.

similar to this example with thick, soft foam sheet:

hope to helps

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 04:01 PM UTC
I simply use poster card. Either blue, grey, white or black. Most of the time I tend to use black. Once the card becomes scored, scratched or marked from handling, simply replace
hkopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the great ideas
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 07:15 AM UTC
I second Rudy's suggestion. I also use poster board. I find a medium blue to be the best color for models to show up against.
PaulsBods
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 522 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 03:58 AM UTC
I like the "infinity" idea...nice one
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 399 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 05:17 AM UTC
I took a cardboard box and cut the top and sides off, then taped some white tracing paper over the open panels to act as filters. I got some cheap portable lights from Home depot for the top and sides. Grabbed a lt.blue poster board from Hobby Lobby and draped it inside the box. It all works out very well, cheap too..
Krieg-Hammer
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I took a cardboard box and cut the top and sides off, then taped some white tracing paper over the open panels to act as filters. I got some cheap portable lights from Home depot for the top and sides. Grabbed a lt.blue poster board from Hobby Lobby and draped it inside the box. It all works out very well, cheap too..

Could you put pics up of it? I am looking to create something like this.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 03:35 AM UTC
I use posterboard or a seafoam colored pillow case. I seem to get the best results with the poster board(white).
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What is a good material to use for a colored backdrop. In the past, I used a white or black bedding sheet but with mix results namely due to the creases that showed up.

Pastel paper, 90lb is usually the best, 25x40 inches if you can find it, and it comes in all sorts of useful colours for around $6 a sheet, maybe less if you're lucky.
I also like velour paper, it's really interesting.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 09:13 AM UTC
On the subject of blue backgrounds... blue is seen to be good as it provides a clear contrast to the subject being photographed, and this is fine for build stage photos (if not always necessary nor helpful) but please - and this is my opinion, I know, but I am going to make it forcefully - don't use strong blue backgrounds for your finished build photos!

Use some pale pastel blue if you must, something grey / blue, but not these strong domineering blues. The light reflected back on to the subject by strong coloured backgrounds affects the colours of the model, so I would agree with what has been said above about white, black, creams, pale greys, pastel colours generally.

But not blue blue. Ever.

c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Could you put pics up of it? I am looking to create something like this.

Here's my cheapo photo box I made a few years ago...getting a little ragged now and will need to make a new one

Matthew...excellent advice on the backdrop colors, thanks! And I'll add to use a solid color, I've seen plenty of good quality pictures ruined by using a backdrop with a pattern that is very distracting.
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 11:03 AM UTC
Another option is to build a simple base for placing the model on and then printing out a sky background from a site like Flickr.

For 1:35 models Miniarts makes some great kits that just need paint and a bit of grass. IMHO it gives a much more realistic look of a model and prevent odd colors from reflecting.

I made such a base recently and added some Trumpeter tracks next to the Miniart road in order to be able to photograph 1:35 railroad models as well.

I wrote about the proces on my blog, including how to make the backdrop:
http://modellingroom.net/photo-diorama-for-135-scale-models/
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
entire network: 2,433 Posts
KitMaker Network: 103 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 - 06:53 PM UTC
Great idea!

I had a friend that used some posters of an autumn wood, or moutain landscapes to good effect, that was back in the 1990s!

Your photo looks fantastic, very atmospheric, and tells a story too.

Cheers,

Christophe
matrixone
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 869 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC
I use scenic backdrops in pictures of my models.
Some of the backdrops I use are store bought and made for model RR layouts. Other backdrops I use are those I airbrushed myself on large sheets of white foam board.

Below is a 1/48 scale model with one of the model RR backdrops.

And here is some 1/72 scale models with one of my airbrushed backdrops...

One thing that is important is to use proper lighting that matches the backdrop, I suggest using natural light for this, indoor lighting looks too soft and not very realistic and the best part sunlight is free!
I take all the pictures of my finished models outdoors and have had better results than when I used to do indoor photography.

Matrixone
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 03:48 AM UTC
I simply use poster board, either blue, black, or white. I use a snack table pushed up against the wall. I tape the poster board to the wall and to the table, forming a smooth curse in the process.

One nice thing about using a snack table is that it folds up when not needed, and can be stored anywhere, out of the way.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP