_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modellers dream come true?
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 68 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hey guy's,

Wanted to share something really cool with the gang here. After a lengthy break from the hobby due to going back to school and life in general I have been messing with left over kits to get back into the swing of things; and recently I wanted to look into getting a few new kits and so I went to LHS with my wife ( I know I know.. with the wife?? ) yes with my wife lol and she started looking around and noticed the area with the sci fi kits particularly the fine molds star wars models (she a star wars buff) and decided to buy herself one. Well I am happy to say she loved building it and painting it !! and she wants to collect all the finemolds star war kits. Recent mailorder purchase of a few new tank models for myself has her thinking of giving a tank kit a shot
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 11:49 AM UTC
Crap just realized something... I might have to keep an eye on my stash !!
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 118 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 02:18 AM UTC

Your wife is like................... like finding the holy grail of wives !! If I ever found my wife having the least bit of respect for my apparently child-ish like hobby............. I'd definitely end up crapping my pants and sucking my thumb.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC
Now this is very exciting news !

Good for her and you I might add . Nice to see more females getting involved in the hobby .

Would she be willing to share her work with the rest of us ? Maybe she would like to enter into the Ladies Only Campaign
bushman
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 02:38 AM UTC
I'll trade you wives.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 03:58 AM UTC
Can you post a pic? And of her SW model too? ;-)

It's great to have her interested in the same hobby. She might want to check out www.starshipmodelers.net (same as here, but for Sci-fi fans)
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 05:45 AM UTC
Shes still working on the kit but I am trying to convince her that sharing her work does not mean she has to be a master modeler lol, will try to get pics of a an old airfix 1/72 ww2 polish fighter she thought was cute that has been sitting in my closet left over from my dad's old stash. Let her have a go at it to kinda practice on as she wants to take her time with the tie fighter which i don't blame her it is a sweet little kit.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 05:59 AM UTC
Thomas,

Having a wife that's involved in the hobby is a definite bonus. My wife "tolerates" my hobby; on occasion, she'll "allow" me a major kit (cost wise), but otherwise is "tolerant" of my "fun."

You'll have to convince her that showing what she's doing is a GOOD THING. No one is going to lambaste her for her talents or showing what she's working on. IF they do, then they don't belong here. If nothing more, between you and the members here, she'll learn, grow-into-the-hobby, flourish, and hopefully, enjoy it. You are key to that.

Worries about the stash? DON'T!!! If she's so inclined to pick a kit out of it...let her! What's more important? "Da Stash" or her joining you in some plastic-fun? I'm thinking there are many more benefits in building than in "storing."

Merely my thoughts..........

Mike

Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 11:30 AM UTC
LOL... Oh I know I said that comment about my stash in jest
crossrifles
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 02:12 PM UTC
I think that is great that she is showing intrest. My wife does not bash and she gets me gift cards and she will even ask me if i want to go to the LHS once in a while. But of course when i am busy working on something it is constantly "Will you come here for a minute" or " I need you to......." but not all the time just most of it!!!
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 06:07 PM UTC
I hope she's gonna buy her own paints,brushes,glues,files,fillers,etc etc etc, ,and no fighting over "whos turn" it is with the air brush
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 09:50 PM UTC
my other half does light modelling, we now *1st one last night* attend the local model club woo
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Crap just realized something... I might have to keep an eye on my stash !!

Reminds me of a long time ago when my wife only liked p*sswater light beers. I drank darker & more full bodied stuff and in the spirit of passing on a good thing, I got her to taste, and eventually like, various more full bodied beers.

Now my beers disappear at double the rate and when they're all gone she shifts to wine which she knows I can't stand!

Should'a left good enough alone.

:)

All in fun. Good on her and you. It's great to share stuff you enjoy with your spouse.

Paul
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll trade you wives.

Throw in a couple Cyber hobby Tigers?
Thomas,what a tremendous stroke of luck for you and your wife!

Does this mean a "Women of Armorama" calender could be out in the future?
Rick
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 12:18 PM UTC
When I met my wife, she like so many other wives and girlfriends I am sure thought the same thing about models......Men and their toys.

That lasted to the point of seeing how much work went into building, painting and weathering.

Since she has a background in oil painting, among other crafts, she took an interest in it....and has moved into the figure painting genre. WIth her Oil painting background, she knows all the ins and outs of shading and such.....to the point that I usually walk away in disgust at her ability! LOL

I have once actually be out bought by her in a hobby shop once.......one of the most embarrassing days of my life! LOL
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 01:27 PM UTC
I taught my girlfriend how to mold and cast kits. She found it interesting, but would rather learn the process than have to do the process. She doesnt mind my hobby but cant figure why I need multiples upon multiples of everything. Even after an explanation or two.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 04:21 AM UTC
LOL, nah she insisted on her own tools so she went out and got her own modelers tool kit and glue. I suggested a couple of sanding sticks and showed her mine i got for 4 bucks a pop at the LHS she kinda giggled and went to her restroom and brought out a bunch of flower patterned emery boards she got for .50 cents each!!! dam I just might learn a few things from her lol!!!
As for airbrush I'm not worried she says she's not there yet besides I got 4 of them anyway.

nice try Rick but uh... No... lol and she saw the calendar comment and she said ok sure but you first!!
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 04:53 AM UTC
Thomas, That is great! My wife somewhat encourages the hobby. It keeps me in the house and I do the laundry on Sunday while I am down in the basement working on my kits.

Tony
arsenalman
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 09:55 PM UTC
This reminds me of the time when I was browsing thru a hobby shop and a young couple was browsing in earshot of me.

They were looking at the the wonderfully well finished and weathered models on display when the young lady "announced to her beau .... "aw .. its soooo easy ... just need to glue and paint it ... eve I can do it" ...

I had to chuckle to myself .. yeah rite ...easy in deed ....
 _GOTOTOP