Shows and events in North America.
US Nationals-Report
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:52 PM UTC
JUst got back (well a day or so ago) from the Nationals in OKC. HAd a very pleasent 3 and a half hour drive from Dallas. As expected, they were really good. A bit disappointing in the armor diorama contest, mainly dealt with figures. There was only one large one which dealt with the Remagen bridge. The armor groups wre huge and they ended up having to add a couple of categories. Man I sure would have hated to try to judge some of those entries, Finally found a Scissor bridge kit I was looking for and got it for my price of $40 instead of that outrageous collector kit price of $125-$150 that has been going on on ebay Didn't run into anyone from Armorama but I think I recruited 2-3 people. Wish I had brought up my TREX vs the Panther dio, but then I would have had to join the IPMS and pay entry fees and I much rather of did what I did which was to spend it on kits. Grreatvendors and if I had come back Saturday, I could have gotten some unbelievaable deals I'm sure. Did good anyway. Well you west coast guys have fun in Phoenix or Tuscan (where ever it's being held ) next year.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 10:39 PM UTC
Does anyone know of any other online images?
I saw the first three pages over on Modeling madness, but did anyone else do a Virtual Nats, ala the Virtual AMPS or previous years reporting.

Mike
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
Here ya go, pilgrim.
http://www.ipmsusa.org/Groups_Contests/EventsGallery/2003_Nats/2003_Nats.htm " TARGET="_blank"> http://www.ipmsusa.org/Groups_Contests/EventsGallery/2003_Nats/2003_Nats.htm
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 01:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the link AJ. Clicking through the gallery there are some really nice models there. There are also some that are, um, not so good. What is everyone elses over all impression.

Shaun
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the link AJ. Clicking through the gallery there are some really nice models there. There are also some that are, um, not so good. What is everyone elses over all impression.

Shaun

Same impression - but that's typical. There's no "qualification" for entries at the Nationals - just have to be a member. So, all calibers of modeling talent appear there. Some very well done, some not so well done. But, all are invited!

Gunnie
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 03:07 AM UTC
This was my impression last year in VA Beach. There were some genuinely great works on display from all over the country and elsewhere and a lot of average work as well. It's the numbers that probably make the difference, there were almost 2000 models on display compared to the 400-600 for a good local or regional show.
 _GOTOTOP