_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Putty
CaptainBirdseye
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Sometime soon I will be applying Zimmerit to a 1/32 Tiger I with the Tamiya Zimmerit Tool and Miliputt Super Fine.

With the putty, do I just roll the two pieces together for 5 minutes, and apply? How do I get it soft and easy to apply? I had a go with some cheap green putty and the results were awful, it was more like blue tack than a adaptable putty.

If I gently wet the putty, will this stop it sticking?

Thanks.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hey Captain
I think you will find the superfine better to work with for your purpose than the green stuff you were using. Roll even amounts together well, and then let it wait a while (1/2 hour?) to alleviate the stickiness and then roll out flat with talcum powder as a lubricant. I have never applied zimmerywhatzit but I imagine you could do it in strips? Apply one to the hull and then definitely use saliva (your own) to prevent the sticking to the tool. Have a practice using this technique, and I'm sure you'll see results.
Milliput, even the superfine is not the best putty out there, but not the worst either. I use magic sculpt, well for sculpting, but have made tarps and bedrolls and the like from it without drama..
Brad
 _GOTOTOP