_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Newbie needs painting & weathering advice!
Hinksy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm very new to to the forum & to modelling. I have just about finished construction of my first model-a 1/48 Tamiya Tiger I, it went very well for a first attempt!

I've painted it all the recommended hull colour (Tiger Grey/Humbrol 67) and the tracks a slightly different shade, all as recommended for the version I want. I'm not ready for cammo yet!

It looks nice BUT it also looks like it's just rolled off the production line! I'm planning on building a very small & basic diorama. I've got the Tiger crew ready for painting and assembly along with fuel drums etc. I have all the basic modelling kit, access to the full range of Humbrol paints, a very good hobby shop nearby, internet access and a limited budget!

I have looked into ading mud 'splatter' to the wheels by flicking a stiff bristle brush dipped in a muddy colour paint mixture of the tip of my finger and also dry-brushing.

What I want to do next is add a dusty, weathered look to my tank after adding the decals and prior to painting my tank crew.

I'd appreciate any help-please keep it basic and to the point though. I have no experience and limited resources.

Final question-should I really be building my kits in 1/35 scale? It seems to be far more popular and the larger size appeals to me.

I've just joined MAFVA by the way.

Kindest regards,

Ben
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 01:12 AM UTC
Welcome to the site and hobby Ben !

Have you tried doing a wash over the surface to make the detail pop and give it a dirty look .

If you have an airbrush you can lighty mist shade(s) of browns on to the lower hull and tracks .

Pastel chalks aslo work well for weathering and come in end less colours . Just rub a stick on sand paper until you a small amount and dust it onto the model using a very soft brush(s)

Work in what ever scale you feel comfortable with building in . Try out a few different scales and see what you like best .
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 03:05 AM UTC
Ben,

Welcome to the hobby. I am pretty new as well. There is a lot to learn and this website has a lot of helpful ideas. I found this thread very helpful.

Finishing & Weathering Sequence

Tony
 _GOTOTOP