_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Best modeling magazine - which one?
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 02:15 PM UTC
Hi,

Since I have not purchased a modeling magazine in years (since my days buying FSM) I've been wondering which magazines might be good to get if I'm interested in armor. I've seen MMIR and AFV Modeler offered online but never wanted to order one as I was affraid I would not get my money's worth. Are MMIR and AFV Modeler fairly good?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Rob
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 02:38 PM UTC
Opinions on this are so subjective. There are so many individual preferences that would ultimately define which publication is "best" in your eyes.

Probably the best way to determine your thoughts is to buy a couple of back issues and decide which one covers the subject matter that interests you the most.

If you are talking a publication that is strictly armor/afv's, my vote would go for MMIR.
Removed by original poster on 09/08/09 - 01:49:23 (GMT).
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 02:28 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback, Brent!

Rob
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 06:11 AM UTC
Id agree with Brent about it being a subjective opinion. Why not buy a few magazines covering topics you are interested in, and then decide when you have a bit more personnal experience, and can decide what it is you actually want.
Ive bought loads of mags over the years ... but have mostly stopped now. I pick up an occasional Military modelling or Model military international depending on what the subjects are, but they are few and far between. The only one I get regularily is AFV Modeller. Inspiring mag and some great articles. Another one I like a lot is Panzer Aces. I like the depth the Spanish mags go into and the details ... real "how to´s" ... and have less advertising and reviews. I can get them online. These two are probably expensive State-side!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 02:45 PM UTC
Hi Rob,

I've bought many issues of all the military modeling mags and FineScale Modeler and my hands - down favorite is MMiR. Now that they've gone by-monthly and have a new editor, it's even safe to buy a subscription. I did.
crossrifles
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 03:39 AM UTC
I buy all sorts of MAGs for what ever. and am constantly looking for good pic's. there may be somehting in me that strikes me and will want to do it later. Then i have to find it when i am ready or need it and got mags all over the place and spend hours trying to find out where i put it. i like them all and get each of them for different reasons. I have likes and dislike for all of them.
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 118 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 04:56 AM UTC

Where did you get the MMiR subscription from ????

Link !?!??
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 02:27 PM UTC
I was pretty lucky to find a magazine store that had (emphasis on 'had' ) a fairly extensive military hobby section in Melbourne which gace me the opportunity tio page through a few magazines prior to selecting my prefered one.

I found that Military in Scale addressed my needs best. The magazine focuses on armour and dioramas with the occassional detour to aircraft.
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 03:28 PM UTC
Aeroscale Aeroscale Aeroscale Aeroscale Aeroscale

Kitmaker Kitmaker Kitmaker Kitmaker Kitmaker
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Aeroscale Aeroscale Aeroscale Aeroscale Aeroscale

Kitmaker Kitmaker Kitmaker Kitmaker Kitmaker

Sure, but I got strange looks when taking my laptop into the loo

Also, printed magazines tend to be easier to handle on a crowded train.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC
But Rudi , that's what the Blackberry is for !
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Where did you get the MMiR subscription from ????

Link !?!??

http://ampersandpubco.com/mmir/
Here you go Tom.
You can subscribe right from this page and pay via Paypal.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 05:44 AM UTC
Hi gents,

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. Well, I took your advice and bought a couple of MMIR issues (42-43 and 44) since these had some build artcikes I was interested in (Flak 18/36 and sFH18). Now, I have to say that sadly I was not impressed with the build articles that supposed to be the ones who bring readers to actually buy these magazines. I mean, these are pretty big mags when compare to, say, FSM and look really good with the glossy finish on the pages and all but, on the articles themselves, I found the puictures just too small. On the sFH18 article, for example, the pics looked blurry and they were way too small. I was actually able to find better pictures of a built up howitzer online than on MMIR. I don't know if this is an 'older' issue (as I just couldn't tell the year from the cover) or whether all articles are like this (seems to be from the other ones I looked at).

I guess I could give a few more a try just in case but first impressions on MMIR were a bit dissapointing.

Again, thank you all for the feedack.

Rob
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 118 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC

Thanks for the link. I finally figured out why I couldn't find it online. It's Military Miniatures in Review, not Military Models in Review.............. Doh !!
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 04:27 PM UTC
Hi Rob, I havn't read a good modeling/Armor mag since the early eighties, (Military Modeling Mag). I find myself rereading them from time to time. I do occassionaly pick up Armor Models and MMIR . Hope you find one that interests you. milvehfan, BTW PM incoming.
 _GOTOTOP