Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
B17 Rides
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 10:52 AM UTC
My wife's sister and Grandfather (who served on a LST in Europe and the Pacific during WW2) took a B17G flight yesterday right here in Marion Indiana.
On the ground:

Starting number four:

Landing:

That is my wife on the right. When they found out her grandfather served in WW2 they asked him to stay. The pilot gave Oscar a ribbon with a medal and asked him to stick around. I dashed for the wheel chair and by the time I got back there was a crowd thanking him for his service and asking him where and when he served.
Thank God I live in Indiana, for my family, and for Oscar are all the men like him.

Shaun
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC
I rode on a B-17G several years ago in Atlanta, Georgia called "Aluminum Overcast". It was one of the most memorable experiences of my 38 years on the planet.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 03:07 AM UTC
Good deal. A few years ago, we took my wife's Grandfather, who was a B-17 ball turret gunner in WWII, and a POW for 9 months, up for a ride in the Collings Foundadtion restored B-17G Nine-O-Nine. I will always cherish the look on his face. It was a great ride for him and me.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 07:57 AM UTC
This looks like the one that's part of the "Yankee Air Force" and is based at Willow Run Airport, in Ypsilanti, MI. Willow Run was where Ford built a factory which applied a lot of the moving assembly line techniques to aircraft production. Once they finally got the bugs worked out, they cranked out B-24s pretty quickly. Willow Run is only about 6 miles from my house, and I'll often hear those 4 engines as the plane passes over the house. It's a marvelous audio and visual treat when one of these flies overhead.

What a marvelous treat to have been able to have her grandfather go for a flight!

Tom