_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Polystyrene cement
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 05:00 AM UTC
Is there a simple way to avoid PC becomming all stringy?
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 05:17 AM UTC
I've never had liquid cement get stringy, only the tube cement. I'm gonna guess that's what you are using and tell you to switch to liquid cement, it's much cleaner.
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
If TwistedFate is right and you're struggling along with tube cement, STOP USING IT AT ONCE! Get help!!! RUN, don't walk, to you nearest hobby store and get some liquid cement.

I'm convinced that tube cement was invented as a cruel prank by Testors; they must be amazed that people still buy the stuff. I can't think of a single reason to use that foul concoction.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm convinced that tube cement was invented as a cruel prank by Testors; they must be amazed that people still buy the stuff. I can't think of a single reason to use that foul concoction.

Tube cement was around for a long time, when it was like 10¢ a tube. Much easier for the kiddies to use and comes in non-toxic variety (blue tube). It still has its uses for the younger set. My 9 year old has just started using liquid cement. She has to be careful since there is still the possibility of spilling the stuff (even when it's in some clay or hot glued to a wooden base).
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Much easier for the kiddies to use and comes in non-toxic variety (blue tube). It still has its uses for the younger set. My 9 year old has just started using liquid cement. She has to be careful since there is still the possibility of spilling the stuff (even when it's in some clay or hot glued to a wooden base).

I hear ya' as to the non-toxicity of the blue tube stuff, but I recall making a heck of a mess with the tube stuff as a kid. The darn strings that Hip_Priest was complaining about would get caught in the air and get blown all over things. Lots of little stripes of dissolved varnish on furniture, crunchy crud on the rug, etc. Finally, my mom made me work on some large fiberglass trays she had, where I could spill the liquid stuff with no damage other than the fumes. #:-)

The only thing that I remember being easy about the tube stuff was that you could easily melt big fingerprints into the sides of every model. Glad to hear there's someone out there getting some benefit from the stuff, though. If your kid learns to make decent models using the tube stuff, she'll be able to accomplish incredibly clean builds once she switches to the liquid.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 03:51 PM UTC
It takes great skill to use tube cement. It's my preferred medium of choice due to its great tackiness and time it takes to set up before locking down. Liquids dry to quick for me and using that brush, well nothing like getting 10x more than you need. I use it only as gap filling btwn seams after I've glued, I shoot it through a 20 guage hypodermic needle. I use the cyrano.....too get the gel type for slower set up
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:19 PM UTC
Cheers for the responses.

I do normally use Liquid Poly but had to revert to the tubey stuff for a bit of extra hold. It was at this point why I realised why I dont use it!
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 08:03 PM UTC
Hip Priest, I have a confession to make. I will tell you this and it will be the last time, Superglue. Thats the way to go. I have been using it for a year, with no problems. I know it sounds insane, but it works!

~Chip
 _GOTOTOP