_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Reviews and reviewer
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 03:50 AM UTC
Well after browsing thru the latest issue of MMIR and reading the article on the M3 Lee I came to the conclusion that some folks are not honest in their reviews.

After replacing most of the kit except barrels and lower hull with the much better Legend Productions Resin version,how can this person say the kit was any good?

But did.

So go spend $45.00 on the kit and another $60.00 for the update.

So do you not think that $45.00 is a might steep for a Lower Hull and a couple of plastic Barrels.

I do.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC
Jeff are you sure the reviewer meant the kit was good or the replacement parts were good.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 04:43 AM UTC
hmmm this sounds indeed a bit funny . It sounds like a case of advanced modelling syndrome.......

About steep prices for lower hulls. I kind-of-really-like T-72 tanks. Almost any conversion for any type requires the Tamiya kit as a base. And those kits are not cheap.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC
i agree, a lot of modelling magazines do similar things,
build the kit with loads of scratch, and of AM parts, then applaud the kit for being detailed e.t.c
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i agree, a lot of modelling magazines do similar things,
build the kit with loads of scratch, and of AM parts, then applaud the kit for being detailed e.t.c

Bingo James.
Brilliant really and yes after spending another $100 on the add-ons and saying Boy is this a great kit.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 02:17 AM UTC
Ive often bought good kits .. which I like and er... was the reason why I bought it. But ... being who I am ... I bought tracks, etch, barrel, stowage, etc to dress it up ... Improve the detail .. and build the model I want.
The base kit was/is still a good kit.

The extras are maybe not compulsory .... but how many magazine articles do you see with straigh OOB builds? I agree that one point is often missed in articles ... why they actually decided against the kit included item. This would suit all modellers and not only those with AMS. Remember, a lot of modellers want to know about the aftermarket for the new releases as well and if they are required.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 12:14 PM UTC
I have no problem with what MMiR does in their reviews. I read them for what I might get for whatever build I am doing. I have also spent much money based on the reviews. I have not been sorry. Whether or not the reviewer thinks the kits are good or not really is subjective and is based on the experience of the reviewer. I might think a resin kit is good because I have built some resin kits. But, someone who has only built Tamiya kits will not understand my point. The point is to use the review as a tool and take what you can from them and don't worry about the rest.
capnjock
crossrifles
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 06:17 AM UTC
but, isn't the review supposed to tell you about the kit. I would think that the review would tell you about the kit, what was good and what was bad and how certen parts fit and what didn't so i would know about the kit and what i wanted to add or not. maybe they should list the replacement parts that should be replaced. make any sence?
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 03:32 PM UTC
Right you are Tom ,a review should just mention the kit ,the good versus the bad . Whats missing ,whats not right for the year/mark ( ie M4A3 ) ,of vehicle represented ,The molding and fit of parts , ,not enough track pads ,wrong shape sprocket etc. Ease of assembly,etc. Just give me a honest review,I'll decide if I can live with the kits imperfections.Did it for years with all the old Tamiya,P-Max ,Nichimo ,Aurora ,stuff in the 70s.
Kitbashing to get a different version or super detailing ,should IMO be a seperate article.
 _GOTOTOP