_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
looking for 37 mm metal barrel for FT-17 tank
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:33 AM UTC
I still can't get on Modelpoint USA's site to check, but does anybody know if someone makes the 37mm cannon for the French Renault FT-17 tank? I have the RPM (35063) 1/35th scale Japanese FT-17 called the Ko-Gata and would really like to ditch the plastic barrel that is with the kit and replace it with a metal one. I have checked RB models and they didn't have one and a couple of general product searches haven't turned up one either.

BTW: This kit turns up in 1/35th scale occasionally on eBay (The 1/72nd scale ones seem quite common.) and always seems to start at $39.00 and sells in the $40+ dollar range. But It Now prices are just as bad. Squadron regularly sells it for well under $30 so if it's on your wish list, don't go to eBay for it! They sometimes run out of stock but get it back in fairly quickly.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC
My bargin for this year ...
Bought this kit last week for Ģ13, including Accurate Armors upgrade set, and Eduard etch. There was even a second instruction sheet included with notes everywhere on what is needed to fix certain details.

No barrel included so Id also be interested in getting one if anyone knows.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 12:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My bargin for this year ...
Bought this kit last week for Ģ13, including Accurate Armors upgrade set, and Eduard etch. There was even a second instruction sheet included with notes everywhere on what is needed to fix certain details.

No barrel included so Id also be interested in getting one if anyone knows.

Hi Frank! Any notes on turret rivet placement to share? I bought several sets of Archer rivets (and Japanese battle flags) because the kit didn't have enough. In gathering reference material online I am seeing variations in both numbers of and placement of rivets in the round turret version. Some don't have the four rivets in the rectangular arrangement that is about centered on the turret in the instructions. I have seen variations with the cover on top of the turret, not sure if it's a hatch or what. Some pictures show a complete ring of rivets around the edge of it while some have no rivets at all. I have seen rivets around the base flange both into the top of the turret and from the flange into the cylindrical portion. Most pictures I saw indicate the rivets that ring the lower portion of the turret are half the size of the rest of the rivets. Some photos show rivets centered under the rear doors while turrets in other pictures do not have them at all. There is also some variation on rivets around the gun mantlet. This is definitely the main challenge so far! I keep scanning pictures and taking notes!

And yes you did score quite well! What's in the PE set? Is it worth bothering with? Are you going to build it as the Ko-Gata or another nationality?

I was very tempted to build it as an Allied tank with the multicolored camouflage paint some late and post WWI vehicles carried. I don't have a huge number of Japanese tanks so I will likely build it as the Ko-Gata and save the psychedelic camo for one of my Mark IVs or the Tadpole model. I know that camo scheme is a "must do"! If you check out YouTube, there are a lot of videos of this tank in action. It was quite a little go getter!

If I find out anything about a barrel I'll PM you.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:40 PM UTC
Hello Jim
Would appreciate the PM if you hear anything.

Im at work now .... but will make a few scans this evening and post whats included in the etch set, plus the notes. At first glance, it looks useful ... many bigger pieces .. as well as interior details. Iīll also take some images of the Mr. Model set for your info as well (resin and white metal). This can be seen on the Accurate Armor homepage .. its not an AA kit as mentioned previously. Thye also have some resin turrets IIRC.
I havent decided on anything yet ... so no idea what itīll be or looked into whats needed to fix it up. Only got the kit on wednesday.

I bought some Masterclub rivets and bolt sets. Cannot understand how they make them so small and so perfect.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Jim
Would appreciate the PM if you hear anything.

Im at work now .... but will make a few scans this evening and post whats included in the etch set, plus the notes. At first glance, it looks useful ... many bigger pieces .. as well as interior details. Iīll also take some images of the Mr. Model set for your info as well (resin and white metal). This can be seen on the Accurate Armor homepage .. its not an AA kit as mentioned previously. Thye also have some resin turrets IIRC.
I havent decided on anything yet ... so no idea what itīll be or looked into whats needed to fix it up. Only got the kit on wednesday.

I bought some Masterclub rivets and bolt sets. Cannot understand how they make them so small and so perfect.

Looking forward to it and many thanks Frank! I considered the individual scale rivets but I balked at having to drill so many holes fearing one side would not exactly duplicate the other side. This was my first time using the Archer rivets and after a bit of practice, they go on quite easily ans since they are resin on decal film they can be nudged into position and adjusted easily. The site said the can be stacked one atop the other, but that may be a challenge. I'm going to stick a few on a test piece and paint over them to see how pronounced the look after paint is applied. I'll scan and post after I get that done.
So far, I have about half of the ones installed on the turret, but a few need redone as I didn't quite get them where I wanted them. I may just redo then all and try making a paper template with small holes to mark the locations for them with pencil. I wish I had thought of that first.
 _GOTOTOP