IPMS/AMPSEast 2009 call for judges
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 690 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 01:59 PM UTC
Hi All,
IPMS/AMPS EAST 2009 is fast approaching on September 26, 2009. For more info on the show itself, go to: http://www.ampseast.org/. We’ll be having all the usual fun: seminars, vendors and the contest. Which brings me to my next topic: the contest. WE NEED JUDGES! For those of you who attended last year’s extravaganza, you’ll remember we had 250+ models. For the AMPS system, that requires 4 judges for every piece, that’s a lot of man-hours. If you are coming and you are competing, I would strongly suggest you consider a judging tour. They’re 90 minutes long and will help us out a lot. The judge’s meeting is at 8 am and as a “thank you” the judges are allowed first crack at the vendors. Ideally, I’d like to have manpower for 3 tables to start the show (12 judges and one runner). So please, if you are planning on coming to the show the night before, and staying at the hotel, I’d really appreciate it if you would come and lend a hand early on. I’m going to post the sign-up sheet on the web. It won’t be interactive, but just send me an e-mail to the address on the bottom of the page and I’ll get you in. It will, however, be on a first-come, first-serve basis and I’ll use the posting time as my determining factor. Here’s the url for the schedule: http://decalcomaniacs.net/IPMSAMPSEAST/schedule.pdf
There is a note of etiquette and courtesy to your fellow competitors and show staff I’d like to bring up. Last year, we had people who brought a lot of models for competition and then did not help with the show. While this works fine at an IPMS-style judging arrangement, it is death for an AMPS show. It effectively floods the judges with models and gives no additional manpower to move entries through the system. Last year we had judges who sat for 3 hours straight. It is unfair to ask them to do it again. If you don’t feel qualified to judge (for whatever reason), there are plenty of administrative jobs to be done in running the show. I look forward to seeing everyone on the 26th of September and I look forward to working with you at the show.
Regards,
Georg Eyerman
Chief Judge
IPMS/AMPSEast 2009
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 02:17 PM UTC
I believe we danced this song before.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe we danced this song before.

This time, I get to lead, Dave!

Georg, I think I already told you, but count me in. I'll be leaving home about 8:00 and given time to get my stuff out, I'll be able to help about 10:00 am or shorlty thereafter. Did you get the note I sent you about the time issues I saw last year? E-mail me at
[email protected] if you have any questions.

To those who might read this and think you're not qualiifed to judge...if you build, you are qualified. You will have several other experinced judges with you. It's also probably THE BEST learing esperince in modeling. You get to see stuff up closer than you do as a spectator and hear what others have to say about a build and exactly what judges look at when judging a model.
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:21 PM UTC
I agree with Al it is the best learning tool out there. It really helps to learn what the Gods pass on to us.
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 690 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:30 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Yep, we've danced to this number before. But, the response was only a couple of people. I'm getting to the point of making personal phone calls. Also, my last plea was a little too early, so now I'm a little closer to the date, I'm making a second call.
Regards,
Georg

BTW, can I post this on the armor and figure forums? So it can get more traffic?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, can I post this on the armor and figure forums? So it can get more traffic?

Sure Georg

I'll be up there Friday night, so I should be up in the morning.
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To those who might read this and think you're not qualiifed to judge...if you build, you are qualified. You will have several other experinced judges with you. It's also probably THE BEST learing esperince in modeling. You get to see stuff up closer than you do as a spectator and hear what others have to say about a build and exactly what judges look at when judging a model.

All very true....but please take a half-hour between now and the show to read though the AMPS contest rules (http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/contestRules.aspx). These rules will be updated next month with some minor revisions but these are the current rules. It is important that the AMPS rules be followed, so if you aren't familiar with them or need a brush-up, give it a read. If you have questions, go ahead and ask here or on the AMPS site.

While you're there, feel free to join AMPS (http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/membership.aspx) ...you can join for 1, 2, or 3 years. Current members can re-up too, that way you never miss an issue of Boresight. The main reason guys miss issues is their membership has lapsed.

AMPS members get member discounts at 20 vendors, the newest of which is Scale Military Modeling International magazine. Look for the AMPS column each month and enjoy it.

_GOTOTOP