_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Vallejo pigments anybody try them yet?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 03:03 AM UTC
Anybody try Vallejo pigments and washes I think it is yet?

Just wondering.

I use Mig and am quite happy with them.

Cheers
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
I haven't as of yet. My supplier just got them about a week ago. But I will be trying a few out to see how they compare. I have seen Mig's attempt to discredit them with alot of technical jargon that most people won't understand, however I have also seen posts by a few people that work in the chemical field, and called Mig Productions out on their comparison tests, stating that what they did is inconclusive and doesn't prove anything. Basically just a statement and some mumbo jumbo so they confuse people into thinking that the Vallejo pigments are a far inferior product to save sales.

Considering Vallejo paint is one of the top quality model paints in the world, I have a hard time believing that their pigments won't be the same high quality.

I too have used Mig's stuff and they work well, however the Vallejo stuff is a 30ml jar for $5-$6......where as Mig's is a 20ml jar for $9-$10.

If the Vallejo works reasonably well.....it is obviously the better deal. Just the Vallejo Pigments are named for their actual colors IE: Burnt Umber, where as the Mig's are named for specific things, IE: Russian Dirt. In the end, same colors, just different names.

The Vallejo washes....I am not sure on.....Mig's are an enamel wash...great for putting over an acrylic finish, which is what Vallejo paint is (what I use personally). I am just wondering how an acrylic wash is going to react over an acrylic paint finish or future. Presumably, Vallejo has their designed their washes to be able to interact with their paints with no problems.....we will have to see.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
Thanks for that in depth reply Scott.

I was thinking along the same line.

Agreed on the content of sizes also.

War pigs a local well to me anyway make washes and pigments also and go by their names also Burnt Umber, raw umber and such.

I think Vallejo might be a little larger a company then MIG,so might be able to get pigments at a lower cost.
We used Pigments in a job I worked at ,and was told that the best pigments came from Germany.

Cheers
Ankmutant_George
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 11:06 AM UTC
Any news on this subject? It would be very interesting to see some sort of comparison between the two pigments. And by that I mean how they behave on a model, not like in the ridiculous Mig-test...

Jesper
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 04:06 PM UTC
I brought a couple of colors in to try.....but haven't tried them out on anything.

I had a customer asking what the difference in color between the Carbon Black and the Natural Iron Oxide...as the color samples looked about the same....with the Carbon Black being a little more on the gray side. I get them here and open them up, and the Carbon Black is the one that is more black with the Natural Iron Oxide being slightly grayer.

While I haven't tried them on a kit as of yet (I may pull and old one out of the one of my boxes of build kits to give it a try), but on initial inspection.....it looks like the same consistency of the Mig stuff. At least the little that I spilled filled in my fingerprints nicely.

As I said above, if the Vallejo is even close to being as good, I will be switching over exclusively to them. I already carry Vallejo Paint in stock at the shop.....the Vallejo Pigment would just be a natural addition.

And there is the price. The Vallejo is about half the price of the Mig Pigments...and you get 30% more for half the price! 30ml of Vallejo vs 20ml of Mig.

I will try it out on an old kit and take some pictures and post them up here.
REDFROG
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 05:01 PM UTC
Have not had any feedback good or bad as of yet.
Will post if I hear anything.
Been selling Vallejo products for a long time and have not had any real complaints. They make quality products so I suspect the pigments should be good.

Ron
Ankmutant_George
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 10:35 PM UTC
Scott: That would be super cool

Ron: I agree with you. I also consider Vallejo to be a top quality company.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC
It would be interesting to see how well these work . The hobby shop carries Mig products , but the price down west here is very high . I do ues Vallejo paints and they are a very excellent product . I look forward to the pic's as well
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC
I too fully expect the Vallejo Pigments to be rock solid.

I can see a company like Vallejo selling a crap product when their paint is so highly regarded.

Along with the pigments is also a Matt Medium, which I think is going to be their version of Pigment Fixer, as well they have a Sandy Paste (same as they have in their texture line just a smaller bottle) designed to mix the pigments into to create different colors of mud for use on vehicles and such.....I have had a big bottle of the Sandy Paste here in my own stash for awhile....don't know why I never thought of mixing pigments with it and using it as mud!

They also have a line of washes coming. These have me perplexed a little, as it is an acrylic wash. And of course we know the old adage that if you paint with acrylics, your wash should be enamel based. So putting and acrylic wash over an acrylic paint job has me a little worried, however being that it is Vallejo...I am sure it is formulated to work with as opposed to against their own brand of paint.
 _GOTOTOP