_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kiwi Korner
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
New book on LRDG
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 11:56 PM UTC
In April I posted a comment on a programme, Lost in Libya, about the LRDG which was aired on TV One on ANZAC day.
A spin-off from that programme is a book Incident at Jebel Sherif which has been published by Kuno Gross, Roberto Chiarvetto and Brendan O'Carroll who visited a preserved battle-site in Libya. This was the first clash between the LRDG and Italian Special Forces which took place in late January 1941.

Anyone who is interested in the LRDG, the desert war or the Italian forces should get this book, it is excellent - I can say no more...
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 438 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 12:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up, I have all Brendan's other books and this will no doubt be added to the collection
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 08:41 AM UTC
Thanks Jeff for the heads up,
It was a great doco,
So will have to get the book.

Chris
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 01:53 PM UTC
I've just got a hold of a copy of the book and it's well worth having.

Most Important: Incident at Jebel Sherif is not available through bookshops - it can be bought through Kuno Gross' website http://www.jebelsherif.org/ and Brendan O'Carroll is handling New Zealand sales; he had 200 copies available in July. Brendan can be contacted via his email [email protected]
Price is NZ $80 plus $6 p&p

I've just landed meself the Tamiya re-release of their 30 cwt Chevy with the 20mm Breda...
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've just got a hold of a copy of the book and it's well worth having.

Most Important: Incident at Jebel Sherif is not available through bookshops - it can be bought through Kuno Gross' website http://www.jebelsherif.org/ and Brendan O'Carroll is handling New Zealand sales; he had 200 copies available in July. Brendan can be contacted via his email [email protected]
Price is NZ $80 plus $6 p&p

I've just landed meself the Tamiya re-release of their 30 cwt Chevy with the 20mm Breda...

You wouldn't happen to have any photo's of the Breda mounted on the Tray of the Chev would you???
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi Thomo, just this one:

This is a Breda gun truck of T2 Patrol. Those in the photo are; Gunner Cyril A Dornbush MM, A G Ferguson (centre), and K Kelly.
Note that the 'greedy boards' have been cut down from the back half of the bodywork and have been used to extend the height of the remainder - this stopped the Breda from firing forward at low elevation, and kept the driver safe! The spare wheel is mounted on the passenger's running board, secured by a hub-bolt and an angled strut. The rear mud flaps seem to have been deleted from most of the Breda trucks; possibly the weight of the Breda made them dig in in soft going?

An mg post would have been welded to the passenger's front door post - one photo of T10 shows a captured Breda mg mounted here. The best sources of photos I know of are O'Carroll's books, which should be available through most public libraries, and the Osprey New Vanguard 32

Further information can be found here:
Wikipedia
LRDG website
LRDG Preservation Society

thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Thomo, just this one:

This is a Breda gun truck of T2 Patrol. Those in the photo are; Gunner Cyril A Dornbush MM, A G Ferguson (centre), and K Kelly.
Note that the 'greedy boards' have been cut down from the back half of the bodywork and have been used to extend the height of the remainder - this stopped the Breda from firing forward at low elevation, and kept the driver safe! The spare wheel is mounted on the passenger's running board, secured by a hub-bolt and an angled strut. The rear mud flaps seem to have been deleted from most of the Breda trucks; possibly the weight of the Breda made them dig in in soft going?

An mg post would have been welded to the passenger's front door post - one photo of T10 shows a captured Breda mg mounted here. The best sources of photos I know of are O'Carroll's books, which should be available through most public libraries, and the Osprey New Vanguard 32

Further information can be found here:
Wikipedia
LRDG website
LRDG Preservation Society

Cheers for that, I will follow up that info and go through my reference again. I am trying to order the Kit through Modelcraft in Wellington. I was at the National but they didn't have the Kit on Hand. Also are you able to post the pic again as it didn't show.

Thanks again
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 12:42 AM UTC
Now, if I use "Properties" and copy the url...

and remove that...

Aaah, success!
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 08:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, if I use "Properties" and copy the url...

and remove that...

Aaah, success!

Success is always excellent, Thanks for that
 _GOTOTOP