_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Whatever happened to......
horsegunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 239 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 02:59 PM UTC
Whatever happened to the ERTL moulds for their farm tractors and equipment from the 1970ies???
I can remember building the International 1466 Turbo, the Massey-Ferguson and John Deere tractors, as well as the trailer and 6-bottom plough. These were some of the first kits I ever built.
Why won't they dig out the moulds and re-release them?? I am always looking for them at swap meets, flea markets, yard sales etc...

Art
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 05:27 PM UTC
Most of the Ertl molds have been spread around from Italeri to AMT, to Testors.

Italeri I believe have most of the aircraft and armor molds, AMT has most of the automotive molds, which I would think those items you are looking for would be with AMT.

Round 2 as since leased all of the AMT, MPC, and Polar Lights molds for the next 10 years and are re-popping some. Might pay to shoot them an e-mail to see if it is a possibility. They might not even know that the molds exists. I have talked to a couple of people at Round 2, and they said there is stuff in the AMT warehouse that AMT doesn't even know is there. Mind you some stuff has been modified so many times over the years that they are worth reproducing, and some molds just haven't been looked after, and would cost to much to repair to make it worth while doing.

But it doesn't hurt to ask...they are pretty good at replying to e-mails. The 2 main guys running the place are both modelers. One guy is the former owner of Polar Lights. Things have come full circle with him, as he sold PL to AMT...and now he has all the molds back for a 10 yr lease.
horsegunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 239 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 02:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the info. Maybe I will send them an e-mail. One can only wish and hope for future re-releases.

Art
 _GOTOTOP