Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Curious/serving in IRAQ
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 06:01 AM UTC
I am curious as to which of us have served or who has a Loved one serving in Iraq/Afgahn. I just want to say God Speed & Thanks to them for their service. My son deployed a few weeks ago /82nd AB, Bravo Battery, Al Asad Air Base. Just hopeing we can all wish them a safe and quick deployment. Thanks, Proud "nervous Dad", milvehfan
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
I don't have any loved ones serving over there, but I do know a lot of people in harm's way. I drive a cab and every night for 8 to 10 hours I work on Fort Carson Colorado, home of the Fourth Infantry Division. I make it a point to welcome home every soldier who gets in the cab who just got home, and tell every soldier about to deploy to take care and come home safely. The young soldiers always seem to realize I'm sincere and they appreciate it. God keep your son safe.

milvehfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 06:41 AM UTC
Thanks Rodger, My son told me when he was home on leave that he was amazed at how many folks he came in contact with during his travels, stopped him and said Thanks for his service. Glad to see support for all the troops. I am sure every one of those troops appreciate your sincerity. Very Cool. milvehfan
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am curious as to which of us have served or who has a Loved one serving in Iraq/Afgahn. I just want to say God Speed & Thanks to them for their service. My son deployed a few weeks ago /82nd AB, Bravo Battery, Al Asad Air Base. Just hopeing we can all wish them a safe and quick deployment. Thanks, "nervous Dad", milvehfan

My nephew, who I raised as a son, just returned from his first year "down range". He is a topographical engineer with the 25th ID and was at Balad. He is now safely back in Hawaii.

Semper Fi,
Dave
karljungblut
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC
My oldest son just returned from Bagram in July ,and the youngest one goes next month. MY oldest son was with the 101st AB but now works for Boeing and my youngest son is with the 160th SOAR.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 01:43 PM UTC
my dad had a friends son who died in OIF 2 in a IED explosion. i wasnt into history and modelling at the time ,so many details were forgotten, my dad's friends have then moved away.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 04:44 PM UTC
I did a 17 month tour during OIF 1/OIF 2. March 15th 2003 until July 2004. I was in Baghdad from March 2003 till about April or May 2004. I was then in Al Kut the remainder of the deployment.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 09:59 PM UTC
Thanks Guys for the replies. My Thanks for your service and sacrifices. A Job well Done !
I pray and hope for the safe return of all our troops. Regards, milvehfan
Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 84 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 02:27 AM UTC
I've done 3 tours, counting Desert Storm. Will probably end up in A-stan in the next year or so.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 08:31 PM UTC
WOW 3 tours ! Glad there are people like you who serve ! Thank You and Good Luck , milvehfan
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 10:14 AM UTC
My brother did a tour of Iraq in 2007 a month after is basic training. Then just after christmas he was deployed again but this time to Afganistan and he returned a couple of weeks ago. He had some hairy moments and lost his bestfriend to an IED two weeks into his second tour but he came home safe and sound and he even brought me some sand back. He has changed as a person but for the better but he gets annoyed at all the questions.

white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:07 AM UTC
I did two tours in Iraq, OIF 1 with an LAR Company from Camp Pendleton and OIF with 1/25 Marines from here in New England. Got kind of scuffed up and retired after the second one (too old, too broken for them to fix -- I feel like Humpty Dumpty), after losing two close buddies in Fallujah every day is a blessing!
milvehfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 08:30 PM UTC
Just want to thanks all our vets and those of you who took the time to reply to this post. milvehfan