_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
New camera advise
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 07:53 AM UTC
Going to buy a digital SLR, but have a hard time deciding weather to go for Canon or Nikon.

The models I'm choosing between is Canon EOS 500D (or Rebel T1i in US) and Nikon D3000.

The Canon seams to be a better choise when it comes to image processor, but for the same price as I can get the Canon for I can get the Nikon as a package with two different lenses.

So, any input that can help me with my decision would be great!
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 02:31 PM UTC
I would go with the Nikon. I have used Nikons since 1972 and have never regretted it or wanted to change. I have: D-70 (my wife uses it), D-80, F-2 F-100, FE (perhaps the best ever), and a couple of other brand digitals that I can carry in my pocket (Kyocera). The Nikon is versatile, expandable, has 'great glass' (no photo is going to be better than the quality of the lense that you shoot through), and I think the Nikon is best. Remember, this is my opinion...based on my experience, but an opinion,nevertheless. Make a decision, then commit to it. You won't be sorry if you go Nikon.

Matt
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:51 PM UTC
finally ended up with the Nikon, and looking forward to start testing it. but right now the wife has taken it with her during the weekend...
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 09:59 PM UTC
Congrats on the new camera. Seeing as I'm late to comment I would have went with the Canon. I just recently bought a Canon 50D and absolutely love it.
Scuderia_Ecosse
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 10:24 AM UTC
I've been using my canon eos 450D for a year now and its the best thing I have ever had. Photography is amazing.

Good luck with the Nikon.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 12:33 PM UTC
Also: take a look at Adobe Photoshop Elements (Photo software). It has many of the features that the average person would use from Photoshop, but is not as cumbersome to use, and is less expensive (US $99.00 vs US $300 for a complete and non necessary Photoshop). Elements is very useful, easy to learn and use, and I have been using it for about 9 years, and it is a beautiful program. Any good photo software will work for you provided that YOU find it easy to use and are comfortable with it. A good asset to have with a fine camera (I love my Nikons).

Go ahead and shoot!!!
Matt
bjhiuhstoom
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 11:19 PM UTC
This forum very funny....................................

Ares Galaxy Turbo Accelerator (AGTA) is a most useful plug-in for
Ares Galaxy file sharing software, built to enhance the latter’s
capabilities and cut the downloading time to the minimum while putting
you in control of your download speed.

-------------------------------------------------------

[url]http:/http://www.webspeeders.com
tornado64
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 203 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 11:03 PM UTC
firstly for others reading this i'll put the cannon nikon bulls**t to bed

in general a nikon owner will stear you to nikon a cannon owner to cannon ( and never the twain shall meet )

the truth is a camera is nothing more than a tool and like for like offerings will give you like for like results

the most important thing is to choose one that feels right in your hands with main controls that are comfortable for use then if building a kit up stick with that brand and just buy new bodys for your lenses

my last factor for buying a camera was cost as im comfy with whatever camera i get i chose the cheapest deal ( nikon as it happens ) but i would have just as happily baught cannon , olympus , sony , fuji , or whatever

i have worked freelance and grown up in a family of photographers inc phorensic ,and commercial

and just to add to it i have won competions and been placed many times beating the likes of top nikon and cannon dslr's
using the worst rated bottom of the pile 3mp fuji bridge camera

it ain't what you buy it's how it's used

mvfrog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

in general a nikon owner will stear you to nikon a cannon owner to cannon ( and never the twain shall meet )

the truth is a camera is nothing more than a tool and like for like offerings will give you like for like results

the most important thing is to choose one that feels right in your hands with main controls that are comfortable for use then if building a kit up stick with that brand and just buy new bodys for your lenses

my last factor for buying a camera was cost as im comfy with whatever camera i get i chose the cheapest deal ( nikon as it happens ) but i would have just as happily baught cannon , olympus , sony , fuji , or whatever

i have worked freelance and grown up in a family of photographers inc phorensic ,and commercial

and just to add to it i have won competions and been placed many times beating the likes of top nikon and cannon dslr's

All the person asked for was a recommendation for a camera, choosing between Nikon and Canon (note spelling) products. What a hostile, waste of time rant.
tornado64
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 203 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

All the person asked for was a recommendation for a camera, choosing between Nikon and Canon (note spelling) products. What a hostile, waste of time rant.

it is more intresting a waste of time why nikon owners instantly say nikon and the same with canon the best advice possible is to decide for ones self it is not those giving the oppinion that will have to live with and use a product reccomended by others

the ultimate best advice is choose 2 or three difrent to your prefered spec and choose what is right for the individual

i realy do not understand what is hostile in that !! unless of course you are a canon or nikon representative !!
PorkChopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 03:49 AM UTC
I've been a serious amateur photographer for 20 years, and a commercial photographer for the last 6yrs. Most of what I do now is studio product photography, and some "stock" work for places like Getty and iStockphoto. Digital photography technology is advancing so fast. From an economic perspective, I would put my money into good lenses, not bodies. A good lens today, will still be a good lens in 10yrs. You can always upgrade bodies when yours becomes outdated next year, and you can do this a lot less expensively than you can with lenses.

I agree on the Canon vs. Nikon debate. You'll take great pics with both. I use a Nikon digital as my "work" camera in the studio and around town. I use a Fuji S-9000 as my "fun" camera for hiking, family stuff, and travel. The Fuji is basically a small DSLR with a fixed lens. It's compact, light, and I don't have to lug a camera bag or lenses with me. It's best feature though, is that it uses AA batteries. When I'm far from my charger, and it dies, I can go to any gas station and get fresh batteries. This has saved the day on MANY occassions. The menu system and navigation in the camera you choose is a major, and often overlooked factor too. Get something that you can easily find your way around and that you don't have to fumble with - there's nothing worse than missing a great shot because you're paging through a menu that is 8 levels deep. Also, don't fall for the megapixel myth. Unless you're doing serious print work and enlargements, you won't see a big difference between say a 10mp and a 12mp camera.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

WOW Hostile rant? I thought it was a persons opinion when he said all that and yes I am a Canon person and if anybody is a Nikon fan then so be it. I actually though he said it rather well.
 _GOTOTOP