_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Clear plastic polishing
DoctorFaust
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 67 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 04:23 PM UTC
I'm dealing with a clear styrene windscreen at the moment and normally to take care of tiny scratches I give it a coat of Future, which works great. However I vaguely remember reading of other techniques to polish out scratches. I think I read that toothpaste works. I'm just curious as to any other techniques to get rid of the scratches and if they work better than Future.

Thanks
wombat58
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hi Anthony.

I have had a great deal of success using a product we call (in Australia) Brasso. As the name suggests, it's for polishing brass. Once I have achieved the desired look I then highly polish using (again Australian) a product called Silvo ( for polishing silver, pretty smart people who think up these names LOL) Make sure you are using a very soft cloth both for applying and polishing. It takes a little bit of elbow grease but you will find you will have a crystal clear windscreen. As always, practice on a bit of scrap first.
Hope this helps

Cheers

Des.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 10:26 PM UTC
watch out with the toothpaste, It can make more scratches if you have the wrong brand (I foudn out the hard way).

The tamiya polishing paste works goods, I used it for all my canopies. But it is kind of expensive. If you buy it, there are 2 components.The first is the polishing material, the second gives a nice coat, but is not really neccessary
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 12:45 AM UTC
The Novus system works great, there's 3 compounds based on how bad the scratches are.
DoctorFaust
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 67 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 04:35 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips. I knew about the Tamiya polish, but you are right. It would be expensive considering how rarely I polish windshields.

Here's the ironic thing. Two days after posting I went to my local hobby store and they just got something in called The Treatment. It is 3 parts; a buffing cream, a carnauba wax (says both can be used to ploish out scratches) and some moist wipes for removing smudges and fingerprints. All 3 for only $2.80. Score!
lighthorseman
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 05:40 PM UTC
micromesh can also be used too
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 03:01 AM UTC
or you could use rubbing compund or automotive polish , both can be found at your local auto parts shop
 _GOTOTOP